PWScottIV

Does the Sony HDR-CX550V work for freefall?

So I'm interested in purchasing the Sony HDR-CX550V http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666073231, but I read on another thread that the OIS might be a problem... Can anyone confirm whether or not this camera will operate properly in freefall? Thanks in advance for the help!
Gravity Waits for No One.

Yes it works.

but could create some issues depending on your helmet and skill.
OIS is always a problem in freefall. the OIS on the 550 can be shut down, but the suspension system is still active. This will be problematic.
Read through the other threads and you'll find a comparison of the 100 vs the 550 in a video.

Yes it works.

but could create some issues depending on your helmet and skill.
OIS is always a problem in freefall. the OIS on the 550 can be shut down, but the suspension system is still active. This will be problematic.
Read through the other threads and you'll find a comparison of the 100 vs the 550 in a video.

Yeah, I did read that thread and watch the short video... However, it didn't appear that anyone had commented on the quality of the results (looked good to me, but I'm not an expert). What is your opinion? Is there a better camera out there that's in the same class? Is there some way of fixing the OIS mechanism (such as with a magnet or something)? Is fixing the mechanism even necessary if you have a very rigid mount and use smooth head movements? Thanks!

So being the resident expert on cameras, would you say that the HDR-CX550V would be the best camera in this class to go with, or are there others that you're aware of that might be better in terms of video quality, features, etc, etc?

For skcydiving, it's hard to get your shorts knotted up over one vs the other.
As long as it's Sony, the stabilization is predictable.
I don't like any of em' post CX100 for the bottom load, but the image quaiity is half a dozen of one and six of the other.
they're all quite nice.

Thanks. So they're using the same image stabilization system in this camera as they have in other cameras that are considered acceptable or superior for skydiving? By "bottom load", you're referring to the battery, external memory, or?

Thanks. So they're using the same image stabilization system in this camera as they have in other cameras that are considered acceptable or superior for skydiving?

No: the CX100 type cameras use EIS which is much better for skydiving (as EIS can be turned OFF for real)

By "bottom load", you're referring to the battery, external memory, or?

External memory. Battery is always bottom load but doesn't need to be accesed so much if ever. Depending on the setup, accessing the memory card after every jump can be annoying with bottom loading cameras. For some setups it doesn't make a difference though (mine :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Man,
There's not a significant difference between CX550 or CX100 image quality wise. In the other hand the 550 is lot more expensive, has OIS, and bottom loader. So the 550 gives you more disadvantage than advantage if you want to use it for skydiving.
I just picked up a CX100 in a MINT condition on ebay for $120!
-Laszlo-

I did much the same, Lazslo. Picked up a few CX100's new in boxes for sub 225.00 I even was able to get red ones (they go faster).
Now that all of these cams are using the same sensor block and are 1920 vs 1440, the differences are negligible.