sky-pimp

Issues with sony PC camcorder and Windows Vista

Hi

Just wondered if anyone has had any compatibility issues running a Sony PC camcorder through Windows home vista premium.

Just asking for someone else as this is the system i am running with no issues ?

His PC (DELL) does not recognise a Sony PC107e or a PC110e .
He has tried USB connection ( i don't use this method myself but i don't think vista is updated for USB connection !!! )
He has also tried with Ilink, with no joy . This is what i use with no problems.

Any ideas anyone ??
YeHaaaaaaaaaaa

Vista, XP, Windows 7 all make no difference for video capture from a miniDV camera, all should work fine.

Also, use firewire/ilink for videocapture from a miniDV camera, forget about usb.

What capture program is he using (windows movie maker, premiere elements, pinacle, ...)?

Does your camera work on his pc, i.e. is the firewire port and cable OK, and does his camera work on your pc?

Have you tried another firewire cable?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

...forget about usb.

I think more emphasis needed on this point. These tape based camcorders will not send video through the USB port regardless of what program you are using.

Plus, it looks like you are in the UK. I seem to remember an issue with EU camcorders not streaming video through firewire ports either. Something about EU (CE) approval?

EU camcorders that have DV-in enabled cost more due to licensing issues. Camcorder to computer is just DV-out, this should work on any camcorder. If you want to write from a computer back to tape however, (or copy between cameras) then you need a camera with DV-in.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Cheers for the replies so far.

I have a Dell Studio laptop running Vista h/primium 32bit.
I can't sync a Sony pc107e or Pc110e, Using 4 pin to 4 pin firewire.
As far as i can see from the research i've done, Sony say there not compatable with vista and Microsoft don't have drivers for them.
Can anyone help please.

Yes, what I wrote before:

Also, use firewire/ilink for videocapture from a miniDV camera, forget about usb.

What capture program is he using (windows movie maker, premiere elements, pinacle, ...)?

Does your camera work on his pc, i.e. is the firewire port and cable OK, and does his camera work on your pc?

Have you tried another firewire cable?

ciel bleu,
Saskia