gremlin

Which wide angle lens for 105?

I have just bought a HDR-CX105 and a Tonfly camera helmet with top and side mountable box to put it in. I don't do professional video jumps but want a wider lens for videoing 4 way and FS coaching jumps.

What lens would you recommend?

Thanks

Gremlin
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

I would recommend the search function... :P

I'm in the same boat really as far as wondering which lens I should get. I think I've narrowed it down between the Raynox 3032 or a Century .55 but even that I'm not super sure about... :P

It comes down to this. You've got a HD camera so you should be using glass that's good with HD.

If you don't care about the HD, you probably should have bought a used cheapo off of ebay but you didn't so the options are in the range of quite a few. It all depends on how wide you want the video. If you fly TIGHT then you could get away with a .3 or go as high as a .7 It comes down to personal preference and not so much what type of filming you'll be doing.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

Here is a good rule of thumb;

-Inside video .3 lens (70% greater FOV from camera.)

-Outside video .5 lens (50% greater FOV from camera.)

-Handcam, belly mount, shoe mount .2 lens (80% greater FOV from camera.)

or expressed differently:
.2 (Extremely wide, far away things are teeny, near objects such as noses greatly exaggerated )
.3 (Pretty wide, close objects are somewhat distorted, far away objects are quite small)
.4 (reasonably wide, close objects appear fairly normal, far objects discernable)
.5 (reasonably wide, close objects not terribly distorted, far away objects very discernable)
.6 (not very wide, close objects appear normal, far away objects are very discernable)
.7 (why waste your time with one?)

For those shooting tandems from a large door aircraft that allows the videographer some distance between the subject and the lens, a .5 or .55 is ideal. for those shooting in a small door where things are tight (such as a King), it's hard to get enough distance to capture the shoulders/head of a tandem student in the door, so a .3 or .4 might be a more appropriate option.

now that's some good info right there. straight to the point simple and easy to understand. thanks for that spot:)

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .