davidpanal

New Freestyle cameraman needs all the advice

Hi everyone, I am a cameraman with many tandems and RW, I have been a belly jumper last 3000 jumps and now I will go after my dream and start a Freestyle team with a friend, we made only few jumps so far and very hard to fallow her on my belly and also I know I have to learn FF in order to flim her good. We support our self so it is imposable to hire a coach for 1000 jumps but I will go to tunnel and jump together. But can anyone tell me what way I should fallow for this? Did anyone has gone true what I am about to start?

Thank you in advance

With very limited experience in filming freestyle, I will say that it's similar to filming skysurfing in that there's a fair amount of belly flying and freeflying mixed together.

Of course you'll need to get your freefly skills in order, and while you practice that be sure to include transitions from belly to freefly and back because you'll need them.

The big thing to keep in mind is that you need a routine for every jump you do. Nobobdy can go up there and stick with a freestylist or skysurfer if they don't know what the plan is. If you don't know that a major speed change is about to happen, you'll never be able to stay tight through the changes.

Even for basic practice dives, have a plan in place so you can be 1/2 step ahead of the flyer, and already be halfway through your transition when they make their next move.

Overall, just remember that this is a far cry from RW video, and it will take awhile to get good consistant footage. Be sure to debrief both of your performances after each dive, but do it one at a time. Focus on the flyer first, than start over from the beginning and break down what you did.

I competed in freestyle at the 2002 and 2003 Nationals. Some of the most challenging but rewarding flying I have ever done. I didn't really have the freefly chops, so I competed mostly on my belly (with twelve pounds of weights, and a back-breaking arch). As mentioned, freestyle varies from very fast (stand-up back loops) to very slow (pinwheels), and you have to know the routine, and have to work very closely with the performer.

Also, unlike RW where you basically can only cost your team points, in freestyle the video is judged and scored also. And there are some compulsory moves that are very challenging that include video maneuvers (full eagles, and some wacky barrel roll and cartwheel maneuvers). It is good if starting out to get some team coaching. Meriah Eakins and Missy Nelson are both very successful freestylists with a wealth of info. Carl Eakins and Gregg Gasson come to mind for excellent freestyle camera work.

Maybe start with learning to go from belly to a stand up and then back to belly. After that impove your sitfly/headup so you can change speed and also move back and forward and do carving.

I often bring one knee down to go faster on my belly for a short time.

I think if you can get the transition from belly to standup/sitfly/headup and back to belly you can impove your filming lots.

Say your lady does a stand up, you do one too and if she does layouts you might do a sit or go back on your belly and if she goes back to standup you can be there in a standup/headup again.

Maybe do a few solos or stay a bit further away from her when you try this the first times.

I think you need to be able to go faster than someone who films skysurfing.

Depends on a few things I guess, like your body size and the size of your performer etc.

Use something that gives you the range you need. If you can already fall slow and fast enough ff suit sound good. If you are good at falling fast use a baggy suit or wings to be able to fall slow when you need, and so on.

If you get your headup and or freefly skills sorted maybe use a baggy suit for more range.

Hi there,

I have competed at the world meet and cup a few times in freestyle as a camera guy.

It is not easy, but is very rewarding.

The main thing is for you to work with each other.

You have to adjust your clothing a flying stye to allow for a similar neutral fall rate as each other.

My teammate and wife, is only 110 lbs and every time we have competed she has had winglets on her freestye suit and can fall amazngly slow and incredibly fast.

making a routine is everything and the sooner you do that the sooner you will see a significant benifit in your results.

knowing what to expect is key.

If you understand what each other has to do and what each other is capable of and remain withing you capabilites then you should do fine.

Start wit a simple routine, add and subtract manoevers as you both see as necessary and work on making a flowing yet achievable routine.

Don't be too afraid of the compulsory maonoevers, depending on your skill, they can be very difficult, even the champions can have trouble with them.

the main thing is to continue to have fun and allow yourselves to congratulate each other on making advancements, it is too easy to be too critical and end up in disagreement.

The tunnel will be a great tool for you, if you can afford it you should aim to get about 2-3 hours each with a coach to give you a good understanding of freefly basics, it will take much longer and more money to be proficient on your head in the tunnel, but having good head up skills is key to beginning, many of the advanced camera flyers do everything on thier head, but that comes with time.

it is an artistic dicipline so for your free routine you can do what you please, the main thing is to have fun!

Good luck and I hope to see you in competition in the future!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

What everyone else said and be patient. If your teammate is new also then it will take even longer as you will be learning moves together, if they already have most of the basics down, that will make your job easier to learn. My wife was still learning a few things and moving around quite a bit, so i was doing a lot of chasing to stay tight while still adjusting to the RAPID speed changes. When she nailed them and wasn't moving, we both got better fast! Have fun, it is challenging but so rewarding.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.