bdrake529

3.5mm 4-pole to RCA split - can I cut it?

I have a video iPod cable. 3.5mm 4-pole "headphone jacK" on one side, split(3) RCA component output on the other (Red, White, Yellow).

I've got the 3.5mm plugged into a Hypeye D Pro, where the debrief cable plugs in. I've got the Red RCA (the Hypeye debrief cable maps differently than the iPod) plugged into the "Video In" of an LCD viewfinder. I don't need the audio.

Can I simply cut off the two unused RCA cables?

Will this "short out" or otherwise damage anything?
Brian Drake

I'll try to describe, but a picture would be worth 1000...

You have a layer on the outside of the cable. Then there is a plaited copper shield. This is the ground. Inside the copper shield is another plastic shield, and then a very tiny/thin piece of copper wire.
If the tiny, thin piece of copper wire in the middle makes contact with the plaited shield, you'll short out the AVoutput of the camera. Not good.

So....when you cut the cable ends off, carefully cut back the top layer plastic so the plaited shield remains. Carefully peel back the excess copper plaiting and cut it all off too. All you'll have left in that short "pigtail" is the thin plastic shield and the very tiny, thin copper wire. Use electrical tape or better still, heat shrink tubing to seal this thin, tiny wire from touching anything else.
Repeat on the other cut end.

Does that make sense as you look at the cable end?

Or you can just offer to buy beer for a local techie jumper who is good with a soldering iron...

Good point. Brian probably has that option open to him. I live in the sticks, and there isn't a jumper on our DZ I'd trust with a soldering iron and my gear. :D
Well...Maybe Cliff...