Neoslim22

Video quality problem

I have a PC-101 and when I hook it up to my TV and watch the playback the quality looks good. But when I imported it into Windows Movie Maker and post it on the web the quality looks like crap. I used a mini usb cable to transfer from camera to pc. Anyone have any ideas to make the quality any better?

In addition to Dave's comment to xfer via firewire vs USB, bear in mind that your computer shows only progressive scan information, and your camera is interlaced. Watched on a computer, interlaced content is quite often bad. Some NLE applications de-interlace for you during the editing application.

I wouldn't have expected it to.
I believe you're seeing interlaced footage on a computer monitor. Play it back on a television monitor, your problem won't be visible.
In other words, edit the footage, then print to tape. Play the tape on a standard television, it'll be fine.
If you use a higher quality editing system, you'll be able to deinterlace the footage in the app, although there are few reasons to deinterlace when the source is SD.
Does this make sense?

To what codec are you rendering that is being submitted to youtube?
After a LOT of experimenting, we've found that full SD resolution MP4 @ 2Mbps or full SD resolution WMV files at 1.5 Mbps are best. We submit HD in MP4 only, at 1280 x 720, 10Mbps.
Search for VASST on YouTube or vimeo to see the quality.
Youtube squeezes it small, but they have very good encoders to Flash.