freefalle

anyone have "shake" issues with the cx100 video?

I mounted my cx 100 I'm happy with the mount it's secure. I there is no play in the mount. I took it up on a sit fly fun jump today, I played the video when I got home and it appears "shaky" I'll be the first to admit I am still learning when it comes to using this camera and its settings, although I am fairly sure I had it set as described by people on here. I'm frustrated is anyone else having a problem like this or any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?? Thanks.

Chuck

> I played the video when I got home and it appears "shaky" . . .

The CX100 is more shaky than my HC1 when mounted on exactly the same helmet with the same mount, so it's not all in your imagination. Some suggestions:

-Make sure "coversion lens" is set to "wide." It affects the steadyshot settings.

-Make sure your mount is not shaking. Goldmembers, for example, shake unless you shim them pretty well.

-Helmet tight etc.

-A box may help if you are sitflying to keep the camera more out of the wind.

Unlike some other people here I get better results with steadyshot on, but YMMV.

I changed the settings today, and jumped this camera again today. The shaking was GREATLY reduced but still present. I think as suggested, the problem is coming from the helmet, I think I'm going to try to top mount my still camera on top, it's currently mounted inverted from the top plate and I think that may be the problem, I'm not sure. I think the next step will be to switch to a cookie box rather than the quick release mount I'm currently using. I think the box will do a much better job of keeping the camera still in the even the play is resulting from the Quick Release mount.... I don't know I guess it's a matter of trial and error.... Any thoughts???

-Make sure your mount is not shaking. Goldmembers, for example, shake unless you shim them pretty well.

I found what seems to be a pretty simple solution to fixing the CX100/Goldmember problem.
It involves a drill, tap and nylon thumbscrew. Since the CX100's footprint is so small, the right 1/4 of the GM plate is exposed. The thumbscrew allows you to force the dovetail into a snug fit.
Pics attached.

Having listened to advise people were giving on the forums I decided to replace my TRV with a cx105. Compared to say the cx7 - the cx105's (EIS) image stabilisation would be better suited for skydiving, "cameras using OIS don't work properly in freefall, this we all know".

So I got a new cx105, worked out how I was going to set it up, mounted it next to the TRV and jumped it. Result was complete and utter tosh - I then set the camera up again, including turning on wide-conversion-mode, changed anything that could possible improve the shake and also aded a special mod. The video was much better.

But the picture is too shaky to use for FS - when debiefing 8 way on a large screen the picture jumps around. I reckon the reason is - EIS uses a sensor to detect movement, the output is used to correct the picture but as it re-centres, (which it MUST do) it jumps instantly, which you then see as shake. OIS on the other hand moves smoothly because it has no choice.

I would not recommend the cx105 for FS - use it for close up work such as tandems or hand-cam.
Nigel Rowlan
http://www.skydivekent.co.uk - Skydiving in Kent

But the picture is too shaky to use for FS - when debiefing 8 way on a large screen the picture jumps around.... II would not recommend the cx105 for FS - use it for close up work such as tandems or hand-cam.

Many people are happily using CX100/105 for FS, VRW, etc. There are a lot of variables that may be at play such as the mount, burble, lens, lens adapter, etc.
Bear in mind as well that the widescreen nature and higher resolution will amplify any movement that any of the above may be causing.
Can you provide more info regarding mounting, etc? What is the "special mod?"

If you read between the lines, many people aren't entirely satisfied with the cx105 steady shot - as in this thread, and people who I've talked to also point this out.

I setup the cx105 the same as the trv, identical picture size, 4:3 standard definition pal, it's bolted to the aluminium plate next to the trv. The video should be the same but there is shake on the CX105 that is not present on the trv footage. It's not a great deal, but if I've got 10 pairs of eyes looking at my video on a big screen after each jump it'll get noticed.

I think when jumping FS you're normally zoomed in between 0.45x and 0.6x, narrower than for tandems or FF, and as you zoom in the shake gets much worse. They're right - the fix is to turn off steady shake but I want a camera with IS that works with me, like the trv, but maybe the CX105 is too low end.

Now I'm not sure about the mod, I've seen some really upsetting footage with the CX6 and other models inc Canon that are using OIS - this is what the CX105 video looked like when I first jumped it. So I sealed the camera with insulation tape from then on to prevent noise from getting inside. You know how much noise gets in because you can hear it on the video. Both OIS and the transducer are mechanical and affected by movement therefore they are affected by noise - but this is just my opinion. All of my cameras are taped up to keep out cloud and I sold the cx105 so I can't prove it would work.

Now it aint going to fix every problem but I reckon it's worth trying out.
Nigel Rowlan
http://www.skydivekent.co.uk - Skydiving in Kent