shogo

Does Sony HVR-MRC1 work with HC1 or HC5 (or consumer HDV)?

Does Sony HVR-MRC1 work with consumer HDV camcorder with i.Link? The consumer camcorders work with imovie as a camera and mac computer as the recording device via i.Link.
Just wondering since I hear AVCHD is not native on Mac.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/580065-REG/Sony_HVR_MRC1K_HVR_MRC1_Memory_Recording_Unit.html#features

The MC1 does not offer iLink. No AVCHD camcorder to date does; it's likely it never will. iLink/IEEE1394/Firewire are not part of the AVCHD spec.
HDV isn't any more native on a Mac than AVCHD is.

How about HVR-MRC1?
I thought that if I can get what I can get from HC5 into solid state (CF) would be pretty cool. Though HVR-MRC1 cost as much as CX12.
By the way, how does it work? Is the content on tape same as the one on CF card (MPEG-2)? Is it compressed like AVCHD? I always thought that the tape was uncompressed format.

Sorry for lame question. Just curious.

No tape format in HD is uncompressed. Including HDCAM and Varicam. Both use chroma subsampling...but that's another story.
MPEG 2 is a highly compressed format. AVCHD is a subset of MPEG 2 and is a more highly compressed format.
You could use a Sony MRU (Memory Recording Unit) over firewire to record HC5 to card, but that would be an exceptionally clumsy and inefficient way to do this, IMO.
Not at all a lame question. It's common. Many people don't understand squat about AVCHD. It's extremely complex in its simplicity.

Does Sony HVR-MRC1 work with consumer HDV camcorder with i.Link? The consumer camcorders work with imovie as a camera and mac computer as the recording device via i.Link.

The HVR-MRC1 DOES have a 6-pin Firewire (iLink) connector (Spot, I think you were thinking of the HXR-MC1). And it appears it will work with any firewire equipped cam. You can use it with FCP, but it records .m2t files, and Sony's lit says you have to use Log and Transfer to import the files. From Sony's lit:

The transferred files maintain their original quality and their original time code data in the QuickTime®format. The FAT32 divided files are merged during transfer.

My guess is that it may be faster than importing AVCHD files, but not real fast. I would love to hear of an actual time trial. One of the reviewers on B&H's site claims he can import files using LOG and CAPTURE (his emphasis). But that is contrary to Sony's info, and it is a lot of money if you aren't sure how it will work.

I am waiting for someone like Focus Enhancements to come out with a flash-based recorder that records Quicktime files (their hard drive recorders do).

The HVR-MRC1 DOES have a 6-pin Firewire (iLink) connector (Spot, I think you were thinking of the HXR-MC1). And it appears it will work with any firewire equipped cam. You can use it with FCP, but it records .m2t files, and Sony's lit says you have to use Log and Transfer to import the files. From Sony's lit:

The transferred files maintain their original quality and their original time code data in the QuickTime®format. The FAT32 divided files are merged during transfer.

My guess is that it may be faster than importing AVCHD files, but not real fast. I would love to hear of an actual time trial. One of the reviewers on B&H's site claims he can import files using LOG and CAPTURE (his emphasis). But that is contrary to Sony's info, and it is a lot of money if you aren't sure how it will work.

I am waiting for someone like Focus Enhancements to come out with a flash-based recorder that records Quicktime files (their hard drive recorders do).

Arghhhh!
Duh!
Of course I mixed the HCR MC1 and the HXR MC1. Hell, I even referenced the HCR as the MRU....The model number of the MRU (when sold with a Z7/Z5/S270) is HCR MC1.
it's equally as fast as importing HDV in terms of speed, but HDV files are larger than AVCHD files by *a bit.*
AVCHD to a card (assuming a main profile camcorder) is recorded at a max of 17Mbps. HDV (assuming 1440 x 1080) is 25Mbps.
Sorry for the confusion.
You cannot use Log/Capture with the MRU as a file-based system. He's wrong. You can Log/Capture *if* you stream the media as real-time video, just like an A1 or other HDV camcorder.

Thanks.
I thought it was a good idea to get more out of my tape based camcorders, but it sounds like there are a lot more to this. I will probable go with cx100 or new version of cx12. Man, this sports has a very expensive hobby built within it...