base935q

CX100 Intermediate questions

I have read just about everything on here in reference to the CX100, and now, the DZ and our BASE world are fullof them. The PC9 was the workhorse for most of us until this last move up, but none of us can figure out a couple of important things about this CX100...

- What is the deal with the focus? We can set it to manual, with the infinity symbol and mountains, but it still seems to cause problems. I've gone into the focus spot menu, clicked on something far away, but it still seems to try to focus. Even with the wide angle lens option on.

- What is the best way to trade videos between friends? The PC9s had it going on, although at real-time, but the jumper who always had a firewire handy was the most popular guy around... I love the option that I can record to internal memory, and transfer it to the memory stick. In fact, several people can transfer it all to one memory stick. But is there a way to get my buddies video, from his memory stick, to my internal memory? Or does all this take a laptop now? And can video be transferred both directions on the memory stick and internal memory when using a laptop?

- What is the deal with *.m2ts and .modd files, being created for each clip? If all I'm going to do is exchange videos with friends and make some edited videos, do I need these *.modd files? What is their purpose?

- Is it possible to take photo frame grabs from video at a higher resolution than 2.1mp? We can't find it in the menu options.

This CX100 is definately awesome for its size and weight, but there are a couple things that would make it much, much better...

- What is the deal with the focus?

Single element lens or multiple element lens? Single elements don't work well at infinity.

- What is the best way to trade videos between friends?

Laptop or computer. You can go internal memory to card but not the other way.

- Is it possible to take photo frame grabs from video at a higher resolution than 2.1mp? We can't find it in the menu options.

Frame grabs will always be 1920*1080 and that is the best they can get from video. If you want stills put it into the still mode.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

- What is the deal with the focus? We can set it to manual, with the infinity symbol and mountains, but it still seems to cause problems. I've gone into the focus spot menu, clicked on something far away, but it still seems to try to focus. Even with the wide angle lens option on.

You may already know this, but you do have to re-set it to manual focus each day (or each jump). Newer Sony cameras default to auto-focus after 12 hours or so to make them "consumer-proof." For tandems, I don't set focus to infinity, but instead set it to about seven feet away right before I exit the plane. That's farther than I fly from tandems, but close enough that I am still in focus close up in bright light, and can maintain decent focus through most of the opening sequence. I always re-set to auto-focus before they land.