TomOwen

Will I severely weaken my helmet? (Mounting an RCB Labs dual mount on a TonFly Fuego Pro)

OK,

So I have a TonFly Fuego Pro, and ordered it with a box for a CX7 pre-installed. It therefore has five holes already drilled (four for the box and a fifth for the HypEye).

I want to install an RCB Labs dual mount: http://www.rcb-lab.com/index.php/dual-mount

However, I am concerned about drilling extra holes in the helmet. I need to drill at least four new holes (shown in red, second photo), and would like to drill a fifth for the camera screw to make my life a little easier :)

I can imagine, with 10 holes in a relatively small area, the entire top surface of the helmet being ripped from my head on opening! B|

What I am thinking of doing is putting a small 2mm aluminium plate on the underside of the helmet, and "sandwiching" the carbon fibre between this plate and the top mount....

Another concern is that the join of the carbon fibre is right under the top of the helmet, though I'm not sure if that's structurally weak... Look at the third image for these last two points.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and opinions!

Carbon fiber is very strong. I wouldn't see a problem with the xtra holes. But if your that concerned with it i'd place a piece of carbon fiber on the inside of the helmet instead of aluminum. If you need mt to i have some here i can cut it to what you want and mail it to you .

Think of it this way if you have a hard enough opening that you fear the camera getting ripped from your head. Do you really want it to stay attached to your head. Personally i'd want it to come off .

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I don't think you'll have a problem. You could use a backing plate like you said, but a large flat washer for each bolt on the inside of the helmet should do the trick.

I tend to go with washers for any bolts through my helmet, just to give it a little more clamping area.