PhreeZone

Juttery recording?

I was doing a jump yesterday that has me a bit concerned about my gear and was wondering if any has seen similar issues before. The humidity levels yeterday were stupid high and we had been running into issues with the lenses fogging over by 4000 feet on every load almost. This with the 4th jump of the day and I was using my HC3 to film a 21 way. The ground footage recorded fine, the in plane footage and climbout was fine but I had an issue were it seemed to record only 3-5 seconds of freefall and then it recorded nothing for 5-7 seconds. The it would pick up a few seconds of video again then go back to blank tape. It repeated this cycle for 4-5 times and then recorded nothing but blank tape for 15 seconds. We tried playing it back on another camera and same blank spots appear. The HypeEye had no errors showing in freefall or under canopy. I went to review the footage 10-15 minutes later and found the errors. I then used it on the ground again and everything seemed to record with out a glitch. Could it this been a moisture issue? An HC5 on the same jump worked with out issue.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm not really sure, but I would think one clue may be whether or not the camera was recording time code during these blanks. That is, if it was recording time code but no image, then I would guess it wasn't a tape to head humidity problem but would instead be something inside, and unique to, this camera. I would have guessed that if it was tape/head humidity, then the camera would shut down rather than spooling blank tape??? FWIW I've jumped in major condensing humidity conditions with mulitple MiniDV cams (including an HC-5) and never had the camera refuse to record something.

What has me really scratching my head is the the time code on the video shows as accurate for the frames it recorded but is is frozen on the last code for the last "good frame" until the next fame appears. The video is blank for that 1-3 seconds but that is it.

What is weird is that earlier in the day it was way worse off since it fogged my 18-50 to the point it was still fogged 45 minutes later on the ground. I am going out and buying some reusable desiccant devices and throwing in my camera bags now.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I know the PC120 series used to have a condensation warning. I'm unsure if the HC3 still has those. On the 120, if it noticed condesation, the HYPEYE would flash yellow. Does not add much to the conversation, just addressing the HYPEYE not showing a warning. Wonder if some of the HI guys can chime in, they deal with crazy humidity all the time.

-Trunk
HYPOXIC

All the HDV cameras I know freeze frame when having tape problems, this is the equivalent of blocks and stripes on a DV camera. So, I'd change the tape and run a cleaning tape that will probably fix the problem.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Classic description of a dropout. You lose one frame in HDV, you have lost as many as 15. HDV uses a structure called "GOP" and if you lose an I frame...you lose all subsequent B and P frames too.
Short answer, you likely had a dropout

Any solution to the dropouts? Clean the heads, moisture, or is the camera on the brink?

So, I'd change the tape and run a cleaning tape that will probably fix the problem.

:S;)
it happened to me the other day too... looks as if I need to clean my heads...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...