DougH

Schumacher Removable Ringsight on Optic Illusion.

Does any one have some suggestions on where to mount the ringsight bracket on an optic illusion?

I never mounted a ringsight before and the directions are a little vauge: "position the bracket for best fit (as close to the edge of the helmet as possible)".

The front of the helmet has a pretty healthy contour. If I mount it close to the front of the helmet on the left near my dominant eye the feet don't sit very well.

I can mount it more towards the side of the helmet but I am thinking that the mount should be pointed more straight down.

Any pictures or tips would be great thanks!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I can mount it more towards the side of the helmet but I am thinking that the mount should be pointed more straight down.

Any pictures or tips would be great thanks!

The bracket itself doesn't need to be pointed straight down... only the stem that holds the ring sight needs to be pointed down. Here's a photo of my old setup with an old-style Optik before the Illusion model... so mounting will be a little different for yours, but the parts and placement can be similar.
http://www.funjump.com/photos/hdrcx7mic03.jpg

..only the stem that holds the ring sight needs to be pointed down.

Neither of my helmets have the stem pointing down. Don't see why that would ever be necessary.

I was just trying to indicate that the ring sight stem is going to be at angle dropping off from the bracket, "down" being relative.

actually my first priority would be to mount it in a position that minimizes snag potential

this means:
-all posts as short as possible
-sight, clamps and brackets as close to helmet/your face as possible
-all excess posts trimmed off real short and rounded to remove edges

then I would ensure good contact by adding some form of spacer that does not bind the bracket to the helmet

of course, use plastic screws

get an experienced camera flyer who has a clean setup help you out or at least look at your setup and give you their opinion