Scubadivemaster

FF3 box opening on canopy opening

I'm jumping an FF3 with an HC42, no still camera. I have about a dozen jumps with the camera and helmet.

I was a little concerned about the elastic band closing system when I purchased the helmet, and really considered going with the FF2 because of the different closing mechanism.

Upon deploying on Sunday, I had line twists down into the risers. After getting out of the line twists, I discovered that the box was in the full open position.
When I examined it on the ground, it has some scrapes on the back of the box where I assume the risers hit it.

The line twists were bad enough and the canopy was in enough of a spin that I thought I might have to cut it away. I really hate the thought of opening my reserve with the hazard of the open box to catch the lines. (Let me make clear I am not blaming the line twists on a riser strike, I was trying to modify my packjob with poor results.)

Just my opinion, I wish I had gone with the FF2. There are a few other reasons (I know several people who have the FF2 and the HC42, and the bolt up and adjustment were simple. My FF3 with a stealth or diamond lens took cutting several holes to keep the box from hitting the camera, the battery or the lens, and there is really only one position I could get it to work in), but those are separate issues.

I love the comfort of the helmet, but be aware that the box can open.

One of the guys I jump with has the FF3 with the HC5 and now that I think about it, it seems like the groove for the elastic band is a little deeper on his than it is on mine. I remember thinking that the band on his looks a lot closer to flush when closed than it does on mine. I'll look at that this weekend.

I have an FF2, but I don't open the box to film landings. I just look through the viewfinder. The box doesn't stay open, so I find it to be a pain to try to use the viewfinder with the camera attached to the helmet unless I really really need it.

Dave

The back of the box is solid on the FF3. There is no hole to allow use of the viewfinder. The first pics of the FF3 box that I got from 2KC showed it having the opening in the back like the FF2, but they changed that for some reason. I guess I need to shoot them an email and ask if there is a reason I can't just cut out the back of the box.

That's odd... you need to open the box to turn the camera on? Doesn't sound like a step forward to me.

I really like the FF2. I think it's got a lot of unique features you can't find on any other helmet that make it the safest side mount there is. But there are a few things I wish they'd change (like widening the flat top so a still camera actually fits without creating a huge overhanging snag). Drives me nuts when these companies "improve" their products in the wrong direction.

Dave

That's odd... you need to open the box to turn the camera on? Doesn't sound like a step forward to me.

Actually, using a Royal lens I have to push the HC42 so far against the helmet to keep the box from hitting the lens that the thumbscrew has to be loosened and the camera pulled away from the helmet to turn it on. I rely on the Cameye once the camera is in the helmet. Not ideal, but it works once you get used to it,