james309

Stolen Cameras

A friend of mine recently had his Standard Definition Cannon XL1 stolen. He had it insured, but the insurance company will only pay what it is worth now. They will not pay him the replacement cost. He does not have any idea who stole it. This got me thinking.

1. Is there any chance of recovering stolen cameras and equipment?

2. What steps can/should someone take to give him/her the best chance of recovering a stolen camera?

I would love to hear any ideas you may have.
You only live once, but If you live like I did once is enough.

I had a GL2 stolen from my apartment on new years. I think your friend's best choice of action would be to file a police report, and watch local pawn shops and flea markets, as well as ebay and craigslist. FWIW, I never recovered my GL2, even though they caught the guy that stole it. He had sold it off already.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

You should call the manufacturer. Some manufacturers have a program that will assist the police in recovering stolen camcorders if someone tries to have it serviced. There are other people here who will probably have more information about these programs.