garywainwright

Royal 0.3 shake

Hi guys,
I'm out at Perris at the moment and was asked to film some 8 way today. The guys wanted NTSC footage so they loaned me a NTSC cam (didn't make a note of the model but its a Sony SD with a 25mm thread). There was a sony 0.6 on the camera which i took off and put on a Royal 0.3 (with a 25 - 37mm step ring)

I was incredibly dissapointed with my footage of the first 2 jumps - there was a load of camera shake (looked like an OIS issue!)

I took the royal off and put the sony back on and the shake dissapeared (phew).

I haven't really used the Royal lens much before and was wondering if anyone else has noticed anything similar?
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

I've been using a .3 for several years now, among other lenses. On PC1000 and HC3. With adapter ring. Also test jumped RL .5 and .2. Nothing like what you describe

Just thinking... It's a pretty solid one piece unit... but could it be that one piece of glass is getting lose?

Did you make sure the "SteadyCam" feature was switched off?

No I didn't - i was actually thinking about that when i got in. I will try that today! Thank you.

Why would that affect the Royal lens but no other in my collection? Is it to do with the single element design?

Not so much the lens design, but the way the system responds to it is a possibility.Usually, the more wide the lens, the less noticable any shake/vibration will be. So even with steadyshot enabled....it's odd that the wider lens has a bigger issue. Could be loose glass, could be the offset/step up ring creates some sort of circumstance.
Or maybe NTSC just doesn't like you.:P

I've done some more jumps with this lens now. Heres what i've found;

On my TRV60E the image is much better with the IS turned off (the image is fine with the IS on with other lenses)

On a PC10E (yes i still have one!) the image is much better with the IS off (again its fine with the IS on with my other lenses)

On a HC5E the image is fine with IS on or off.

All of these cams have EIS I believe.