velocityphoto

Video camera mount?

Anyone have any engineering idea's on putting a pin in a carbon fiber plate for a video cam? I drilled a 1/4 in hole for my thumb screw ,but i need a pin of some sort for the other hole to keep it from rotating on me?

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I just did that today when re-locating a camera. I just use a machine screw from below. It is either an 8-32 or 6-32, I forget (I'm pretty sure 8-32). Just see which one fits snugly in the locating hole in the camera. Then tap threads in your top-plate, and thread the screw in from underneath. Works great.

I think this sounds good . Just trying to figure out a template to line everything up with the still camera. I make my templates from paper and crayons from the bottom of the camera's. But getting them lined up
with the still is kind of tricky . Anyone have a secret way of doing it? I'm up for idea's?

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

On my CCM, I used a #10 flush head screw (the hole in the bottom of the camera is .190") which I screwed into a countersunk hole on the bottom of the plate. This only worked though because my plate is ridiculously thick (.200"). Even then there is only 1 thread engaged. With a thinner plate you could use the same setup and just bond the screw in place with epoxy. I had to use a flush screw since my plate is just for the camera, and sits on top of the helmet's top plate, flush.

Or, you could just drill a thru hole and bond (or press) a simple 3/16" pin into it.

See pictures.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I think this sounds good . Just trying to figure out a template to line everything up with the still camera. I make my templates from paper and crayons from the bottom of the camera's. But getting them lined up
with the still is kind of tricky . Anyone have a secret way of doing it? I'm up for idea's?

When I set up all the keyhole patterns on my helmet's top plate, as well as the screw hole patterns on the camera mounting plates, I had all the plates covered in masking tape and had huge grids drawn up with T-squares and a really sharp pencil. I measured everything really precisely... I spent half a day just making all these marks. Once I knew where I wanted everything I got out the punch to start all my holes, and then started drilling. I had to be super accurate because of how the keyhole slots work. The time and effort paid off... it all fits perfect and the cameras aim within about 2 degrees of each other by my estimation (not perfect, but about as close as you can hope to get by hand). And the plates are interchangeable throughout the pattern of keyhole slots, which was the one thing I wasn't sure I'd be able to achieve. There were some tight fits with certain configurations, but after a lot of sliding in and out, the slots loosened up.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I wanted to do the screw and slot thing like wes does but my video won't allow access to the tape eject then. I guess i could custom cut a plate to go around the tape eject though . :)

Ok Here's what i have so far. Just need to resolve how i'm going to mount my flash cable to the top so it don't inter-fear with any functions.
Check out the last post guys?
Next thing is a carbon fiber flash mount with screws and slot mounting.
Thanks Lonnie
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=1324044;page=9;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;