everymansaved

Pentax 14mm vs 10-17mm

So, I did a search, and found an older thread about lenses for Canon in this range, but seeing as Pentax is not anywhere nearly as common in the skydiving world, there was nothing about them. I shoot a Pentax *istDL and currently use the kit lens (18-55), as I'm debating between two different lenses Pentax makes. The first is a 10-17mm fisheye which is an f3.5. The second is a 14mm prime with an f2.8. I like the zoom lens because of the fact it can go all the way wide to 10mm, but I like the prime lens because it is faster. They're mainly for shooting tandems and freefly. I like to fly in docking range with tandems and take inside freefly shots, so I believe that is another vote for the 10mm. I know that some say prime lenses take better quality photos, is there anything to substantiate this, or is it just opinion? Does anyone have any experience with these lenses specifically? Thanks folks!
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

You'll rarely use such a wide aperture for skydiving anyway... f/8 to f/11 is going to be a lot more common to get more depth of field. So I wouldn't worry about the difference between 3.5 and 2.8 very much.

As far as quality, it can really go either way. You'll need to read reviews of the particular lenses you're talking about.

BTW, pentax isn't just uncommon in skydiving. Canon and Nikon have about 90% of the market share... everyone else is mixed among the other 10% or so. Pentax is around 5% as best as I can find...

Dave

I haven't jumped any of the stuff you mention, but I am a skydiver so of course I have an opinion anyway. I used to jump a Pentax film camera with a 28mm f2.8 lens. It was a great lens, and a great little set-up. Pentax stuff is fine.

Yes, good prime lenses are usually much sharper, and either lens will probably do well for normal tandems. However, for your needs, sounds like the zoom will do more of what you want. IMHO, getting good shots while taking grips calls for a very wide lens, and not to large an aperture. And the usual advantages of a fast lens (i.e. f2.8) are either in using this wide an aperture (which you aren't apt to do in skydiving), or in faster focusing and metering. And the latter isn't much of an issue in most of the lighting conditions you'll find in skydiving. Just my too sense...