everymansaved

Movie Maker 6 Problems

OK, before I start, I know I'm going to get at least a couple "Get a real program" responses, and I can't really stop that, but I am in a bit of a jam and really need some help. I've just finished my year end video in WMM 6.0 and it won't publish it to AVI format. Every time I try to publish it, it start out fine, showing 0% completed and 35 min remaining, but when it gets to 29%, the progress stops going up, and the time remaining starts going up. I'm about to get Premiere elements, but I really don't have time to re-do this entire project (32min long) as the year end party/video contest is very close. Thanks guys and gals.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

My gamble is that your HDD is formatted FAT32 and your video is rendering to the DV codec, which will peak out at 20 mins (give or take). Video drives on a PC should always be NTFS.
I could be wrong, but that's the most likely bet.
Now...if it *is* this, DON'T reformat your drive to NTFS if you have other content on the drive. It's quite easy to convert a drive from FAT to NTFS without reformatting or disturbing your content on the FAT drive.
Check the formatting first, then if you need the info, I'll tell you how to convert.
BTW...

Get a "real" editing program.:):D

Ahh, this didn't work the first time I tried to start this thread, so I had to re-type my entire post, and I forgot to put that part. The HDD is NTFS, that was my thought too. Any other thoughts?
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

Got a lot of speed changes in your video? Slow motion, fast forward.... I've run into problems with that and had to remove some of those effects.

I assume you've restarted your computer before trying again, right? That has fixed a lot of my movie maker crashes.

Such an annoying program when it acts up, but so quick and easy to use when it's working.

Dave

I'm not a video expert, and I'm not sure what a Codec is, but I think that's the one. For output format, I chose "DV-AVI." I just want something I can burn a DVD from, so I tried MWV 3Mbps and it published fine, and it looks OK on the DVD so far. And yeah Dave, I tried restarting, the old windows fix all, but it did nothing.

If it's going to DVD for DVD playback, you want MPEG2, bitrate not higher than 8.5Mbps.
next thing is wondering if your swap file is properly managed?
You might try finding an application called "EndItAll". It used to be free, and if you search around the web, you can still find a free version in obscurity.
Run it just before opening Movie Maker. If that doesn't cure it...there is some other hardware malfunction that may be due to heat. Rendering is very CPU intensive, and can generate a lot of heat.
At the point it craps out, do you have any large photos that might be eating up RAM?

No, I dida bit of math, and 29% into the movie, it's changing songs, but it's not really any different than the first 2 or 3 times it does that. Does this "EndItAll" thing shut down all those stupid little programs running in the background?

Changing songs...are they the same format? Different bitrates? That could be the culprit.

Anyway, EndItAll kills anything not necessary to run the core of your 'puter. I used to use it religiously back when we had to share 'puters.

First of all, Movie Maker is a great program for the price. I use it in my classroom to teach kids the basics, and it doesn't eat up all my budget for the year. If I get kids interested in movie editing, I quickly switch them into Adobe, Pinnicle, or one of several other great programs.

As for your problem, it may be something as simple as memory! Make sure you have enough hard drive and ram to do the process.

Good luck..:)

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I'll check the bitrate thing. If I can find that Enditall thing, you'll be my new herp. I've been wondering if such a product exists.

I don't think I want to be your new "herp." ;)That sounds scary.
If you didn't find EndItAll, you can download it free from here get it fast, before PC Mag pulls it from the web again.:|