zwergholdrio

Rawa helmet with topmount HC5?

Hi everyone!

First of all - great forum, spent already several hours to read through your previous posts :)
Now to my question:
I'm planing the following setup:

- Rawa Helmet
- HC5 Cam
- Cookiebox HC5/7
- Any Quicklock System for topmount

What is irritating me is an answer from Rawa (Radi) where he said: We don`t work with camcord on the top... But we have a base to a photografic camera...

Is the Rawa now ideal for topmount cam use or not?

Any experience with such a setup as described above?

Hi,

I have a Rawa 'Freely Imogen' and I intend on purchasing a HC7 in a month or two.

I used to have have a cumbersome top mount camera.

The only problem I can see s that you will not be able to mount a Still camera as well as the HC5/7.

Rawa also make other model helmets, but I am assuming you are talking about the 'Freefly Imogen' helmet?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Yes, correct - Free Fly Imagem.

I was just irritated by the statement that they don't work with cams top mount.

I plan to use a quicklock system so I can switch between still cam and camcorder from jump to jump... of course I will not be able to do both - I'm fine with that :-)

Considering that he hardly speaks english, perhaps what he meant was they don't use those helmets with top mounted cameras? or that he designs tha helmets for side mounted cameras... the custom sidebox is part of what makes the RAWA such a great helmet.

IF he makes the helmet for use with a side mounted video and top mounted stills, why not look for a helmet that is designed differently, or use this one the way it was designed?

Considering that he hardly speaks english, perhaps what he meant was they don't use those helmets with top mounted cameras?

Thats it. I`ve just talked to Radir (in portughese). He told me about people asking him a solution for the HC5, but he couldn't design one since he has not a HC5 in hands, so far.

Indeed, the Freefly Image Helmet is designed for a side mounted camcord solution. But Radir told me that if the HC5 is too big to be at side (it is 3.3" x 3.3" x 5.4" -WxHxD) he will design another solution, maybe another kind of helmet.

My HC5 should be here by Dec. I'll take it to him and let you know about the solution.
Marcio Rossi
Brazil

Ok, the Rawa freefly Image is great for what you are planning to do. Radir does not make the box for the HC 3 - 5 - 7 series, but his helmet with a Tonfly / Cookie / Bonehead box works great.

Im attaching a picture of my setup:

Rawa Freefly Image
Tonfly box
Sony HDR-HC3
Brents Cross sight on a Schumacher articulating bracket
Cam-eye II

You add Rawa's quick release, Schumacher Quick Shoe, Cookie's Quick Release, or Bonehead's Goldmember (all with two bases, one for each camera) and you get exactly what you're looking for. Hope this helps!
http://www.childrenofthesky.com

Freefly!

just went through the whole selection process of either adding an HC3 to my N Vertigo X or getting a new helmet. I finally settled (bad choice of words), came to the conclusion, that the N Vertigo would not work. I purchased a 2K Composites FF3. From alot of questions and research, I decided that this helmet would provide me the most flush side mount possible with the HC3. I wanted to keep the top free for still photography later on down the road. Check out their website. Check the post from the 11th on here if you haven't all ready, it was insightful.

Ok, the Rawa freefly Image is great for what you are planning to do. Radir does not make the box for the HC 3 - 5 - 7 series, but his helmet with a Tonfly / Cookie / Bonehead box works great.

Im attaching a picture of my setup:

Rawa Freefly Image
Tonfly box
Sony HDR-HC3
Brents Cross sight on a Schumacher articulating bracket
Cam-eye II

You add Rawa's quick release, Schumacher Quick Shoe, Cookie's Quick Release, or Bonehead's Goldmember (all with two bases, one for each camera) and you get exactly what you're looking for. Hope this helps!

P.S. I can sell you everything listed, except the cookie stuff, emailing me at [email protected]

i have a rawa helmet and i placed my hc5 on top without a box..i'm happy with that, and for video tandem its ok, but for freefly the camera angle is a little too high, and people near in front of me is not centered..
i'd like to lower the spot where the camera lens points.
any suggestion to obtain that?
are you happy with the angle the camera is mounted for freefly?
thanks

Skymoo, do you believe is there any possibility of side mounting the camera (box included)?

Not with a Rawa helmet since the camera sticks out too far back... not with a Tonfly box, since you would have to have your camera rotated 90 degrees to shoot, as the opening of the box and the hinges are on each side, and the only attachement point on the box is on the bottom of the box.
http://www.childrenofthesky.com

Freefly!

A very nice HC5 cover is TONFLY Box http://www.tonfly.com/Covers_500967.html . It fits snug and very nice.
Best mount it with Fuego Converter Pro: http://www.tonfly.com/CONVERTER_828527.html

It's fantastic and works excellent. The mount is completely integrated into the helmet and 0 chance for linecatches.

Unless they have changed the mold tool for the top mount box it doesn't fit the HC5 very well. You need to add a whole lot of foam spacers inside and also cut away a bit around the opening. Atleast if you plan to use a cookie wide angle lens.

I also cut a hole in the box so I can access the mode switch without opening the box.

I have the pic's to show if you need it, just PM me and yo'll get the URL ;)

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

"A while lot of foam"? I only used 2 small pieces ;) Did have to file the lens opening a bit bigger. I also cut out a piece at the back so I can access the viewfinder and the mode switch, personal preference; don't like the cam-eye much. But for 63 euros for the box, who cares, it's still a great box and cheap too.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Since this is my very first camera setup I'd consider this as a 'learing project' when it comes to fit the box for the camera, but with all the specers I have added there is NO way for the camera to even shift 1/10 of a mm when the cover is closed B|

Well the lens choice was the one thing I failed in researching properly, I even got 2 of them :$
I actually read the post DSE made regarding wide angles for HDV cams some days after I got my lenses delivered.....

I bought the .3 and .45 to cover all my needs, and now I have to replace them.. Found a dealer close to me that sells the Raynox lenses for basically the same price as I got the Cookie's for.

So the lesson is, do your homework properly, then buy quality. This way one only need to cry once ;)

/* EDIT: Spelling issues */

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
dudeist skydiver # 19515

Thanx for the advice, otherwise I probably would have went out and bought them both... You have just saved me like 130€...

If I ever meet you I'm gonna buy you some beers *promise*
:)

dudeist skydiver # 19515