iambeav2

Illusion retro-fit cut-a-way

I'm getting into camera flying soon, but not now. I already have an illusion(BH composites), only b/c it was a wonderful deal, and I want to get comfy jumping it w/o camera first, taking one step at a time. My deal is this. i've noticed like cookie's cut-a-way it is on the chin and has a ringed release system as opposed to the spring loaded cotter pin of BH's cut-a-way. I know the reason why the illusion has the jawbone is b/c camera's can get heavy, and it's just a tighter, more stable fit when you move your head w/ extra weight. What I was wondering is if anyone can come up w/, has seen, or already has an illusion w/ a dual side cut-a-way system.

So far, what I've brainstormed is leaving the one side (the side w/ the strap on it) like it is, but the other side, running the teflon coated cable through the hinge (almost like BH's D-boxes), and then have a cable on the chin cup/jaw bone that when pulled releases the jaw-bone completely instead of on the one side.

I guess next question: Has anyone had to cut away the Illusion, and is so, how did it act? Did the jawbone bind when coming off to the side towards the hinge, and when you cut-a-away, was it due to entanglement or what?

I know it's long winded, and I have done a search...but came up w/ nothing.
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

Need this help, no takers? If never seen, atleast let me know what you think of the idea!?!
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

Can you deal with the thought of dying because you better be ready man!
Just kiddin . You need a shit load more jumps before even thinking of putting on a helmet with camera's.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

That's all fine and well, That's why the helmet I have has been gutted and is being worked on, I was just looking at ideas. I've jumped the "camera-less" camera helmet to get used to it, but now I'm done jumping it for a while b/c I am trying to piece/develop an illusion dual-sided cutaway instead of the one sided. Dude, if I wasn't able to deal w/ the thought of dying, I would be involved in motor sports and sure as hell wouldn't have started skydiving.

Give me some sort of credit for not being the 5 jump wonder and straps a camera to a helmet the day after the A-stamp (bit of over exaggeration in time, but you know what I mean)

In all seriousness 82 jumps is in no way better than 5 jumps . Remember there's plenty of time to learn before doing something you'll regret ,if you live thru it . Get a lot more jumps ,or stick with motor sports.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Ah, man you don't get it though. I'm not jumping it now. I have no want to jump it right now. That's why I'm f'in around w/ the helmets structurally. I won't jump camera for a while, that's it.

Put it this way... The USPA BSR suggests 200 skydives and a C-license before jumping with a Camera.

and here you are "talkin mad shit at the DZ...cuz I'm young and dumb" your words not mine... ;)
with an A license and 82 skydives and unfortunately the sport of skydiving is not very forgiving with mistakes.

My recommendation and what I did when I was considering doing videography is to speak to your local video guys and other experienced jumpers that know your skills. Also spend the next couple hundred jumps concentrating on jumping with other people (and flying relative to them safely)... then think about adding a camera to the mix.

really there's a reason they suggest waiting... putting a camera on your head adds a degree of complexity to the skydive... creates a distraction... is a snag hazard.

Now I don't have that many skydives... and I'm more or less just repeating what Velocityphoto has just said (only in a much more verbose manner...) and... alas... I don't like to say these things... :|

and others here don't like to do it either... which is why you experienced the "cricket chirp effect"...

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

No offense Scott, or any others, but this is why new jumpers looking to find information while they're at work or school wind up hating the topical forums here, and why the Bonfire is the most used/abused forum on this site. Nobody listens (reads) beyond the profile and jump numbers.

It's really sad that nobody saw that what he's really asking for is advice on modifying a helmet for a different type of cut-away system. He's even stated that he's not looking to fly camera right now.

High-horses must be fun to ride, because there certainly are quite a few in use on these forums.

Beav, if I knew anything that would be of help regarding you question about modifying a helmet, I'd offer it. But maybe my post will steer this thread back on course, instead of pulling all the "at your jump numbers..." experts out of the electronic woodwork here.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I'm sorry I guess my post came across poorly...

I'm not suggesting that Beav is interested in jumping the camera helmet... its just that he is comming across as someone who is looking to start jumping a camera helmet without enough experience. Which is probably why he isn't getting any responses.

The only thing people have to look at on here is Jump numbers and License... very few people on here know what his intentions actually are... or who he is from Adam... [:/]

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

The only thing I'll be jumping remotely close is a camera helmet (illusion w/ jawbone) w/ no camera's on it, just to get used to a different fit. I'm not adding any weight or extensions or snag points to the helmet yet, and especially not until I develop that dual-lateral cutaway, just for my safety concerns. I understand the whole 200 jumps and C license and I fully intend to get there first!!

FWIW, i think the cut-away on the optik-illusion is splendid. i wouldn't change it.;)

just be sure to check that the cut-away pin is fully seated before jumping... last year at Bridge Day, on the platform, my chin cup fell open.:o at least it didn't fall into the river.:P

Haha, thanks B!! Just FYI, that's not what I need help w/ on this weekend!!;)