The111

AVCHD and HDV combined editing?

Spot, I know you can answer this! :P

If this AVCHD thing does pan out and work well for jumping, I already have a potential dilemma in my head. When editing a large project with footage from several contributors, will I be able to have HDV (or regular DV) and AVCHD in the same Vegas project?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

yes. As of Tuesday, you'll be able to edit AVCHD on the same timeline as HDV, DV, XDCAM, mp4, MPEG2, uncompressed, 4:4:4 SR, 4:2:2 YUV, etc.
In other words...May 1st is the release of the new 7e. It has a free AVCHD plug that allows for editing of AVCHD. I'll post some footage as soon as the new release is available.

no, you can't get the plug for older versions of Vegas, just as when Premiere Pro ships with AVCHD ability, and same for Pinnacle and Apple, you'll need the latest/greatest. AVCHD is very complex, and very deep in the code, apparently, so isn't retrofittable as an "easy" task. At least that's what two different developers have said. I'm not much of a code warrior outside of VB stuff, so I'll take em' at their word.