hairymango

HELP!? Advice on NTSC > PAL editing. DVD recorder/Sima SFX-9

Hi,

Need some advice if anyone can help?

I working in the UK with NTSC cameras, I need to edit into PAL format via digital video mixer / dvd recorder

I am planning to do the following....can anyone give advice if this will work or not?

Hook my camera into.....
NTSC to PAL convertor (eg Atlona or SECAM), feeding into............
Video mixer (eg Sima SFX-9 or Videonics MX-1)..........then
into a DVD recorder.

OR

Just get a region free dvd recorder and make a normal dvd and it should play in dvd players here??

Thanks
Adam

I only know how to edit NTSC<>PAL on a pc, haven't ever done it on a linear system. I have no idea if any of your methods will work. And if you're not sure you can only test it in the US since most European dvd players will play just about anything but standalone US dvd players will not. If you have a pc with say Premiere Pro, i'd use that to convert+edit...

But region free doesn't have anything to do with NTSC/PAL, AFAIK every consumer dvd burner is region free, although on a pc you can set some software to a specific region, f.i. Adobe Encore DVD.

edit: wait you want to end up with PAL. If your linear system is ok with NTSC why not leave it that way? Most European players will happily play NTSC.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Im editing on a comp at the moment but Im on the ground more than I am in the air:( it only takes me 10 mins max on linear system

But I dont have a linear system over here yet, Im just tryinng to decide which system to buy. Im guessing my second option - because I tried a DVD which i made in the US on NTSC systems and it worked in some dvd players over here, So if I buy all NTSC devices that may work but it my not?

All PAL DVD players can also handle NTSC: most will just output NTSC, a few have a built-in convertor and can be set up to output PAL from an NTSC source.

Some (older) PAL televisions can not handle NTSC and will display a (lousy) black & white picture, allmost all newer sets play NTSC OK.

For computer viewing, it makes no difference.
blue skies,

http://myjumps.blogspot.com/