jtval

picture sales through website.

I've read Build your own website and Multiple Sales related threads but...

Hos does a site like shutterfly work?
can I sign up and upload a bunch of my pictures and make a small profit from selling them there or does the $$ from sales go to the site?

I saw their prices and I am sure there is a better way for my to make a few dollars on my picture...any one got any feedback?
My photos

My Videos

There are some sites that you can use that allow you to have a set amount of space online to put pictures. You then give your clients a weblink and they go look at and buy pictures.

You set the prices and out of what you sell it for typically comes a base wholesale print cost and often times a %cut of the profit.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

If you build a professional site on shutterfly, you set the price for sales of the photos. Shutterfly takes a set amount for each photo, but anything over that amount, depending on what you set for the price is your profit. Depending on the size and type account you set up, it is $100-200 per year up front for this type service.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

I use SmugMug... it's about $150/year for a Pro account. Unlimited storage (I have over 30 gigs uploaded including backups of ALL my pictures). You set your own prices. Then they take 15% of the profit. So each picture has a default price, like 19 cents for a 4x6. If I sold a 4x6 for $1, the total profit is 81 cents. They then take 12 cents (15%), and I get the remaining 69 cents. But you can charge $10 for a 4x6 if you want and your profit (if you sell any) would be $8.34. To me, that's a small price to pay to let someone else deal with the printing and shipping. But I'm also not trying to make money or even break even (and I'm not coming close!).

If you sold nothing but 8x10s for $15, you'd start making a profit after selling 15 of em ($10.21 each).

Dave

thanks for all the replies.

I don't ever expect to live off of these picture sales but I don't want to be bothered with lugging a pirnter around etc.

for tandem pictures They'll get a copy on disc but for fun jumpers they'll get a printed picture. or pay for the digi copy accordingly.

but it is easier to have some one else print and ship the items
My photos

My Videos

I use smugmug too and have been very happy. Granted I am new to camera and havent gotten remotely close to selling shots, but the site is set up great and the customer service is amazing. It is very easy to email particular photos to people to view and the email they recieve is high quality html format....
You can also upload videos to your site from youtube or other such site (small mpeg videos you can host directly but only like 15sec).
And since you pay for it, theres no annoying ads for you or the people who view your photos