martybarman

side mount hard box

i have an arrow dynamics helmet camera with a pc 105. i bought the C bracket when i got the helmet. it works great but this thing takes tools to get the camera on and off. huge pain at the end of the day to firewire video or look at one jump in the middle of the day.

does anyone have a cookie composites dbox or bonehead dbox that works well. or any other box that takes less than 4-5 min to get on and off.

looking for opinions on what you have that works well and not bulky on the inside that might cause the camera to vibrate when jumped.

thanks

marty

I've got over 400 jumps on my Cookie box and it is still going strong. Great quality, very fast shipping considering it came from around the world, absolutely no complaints. I haven't even had to change the bungee cord yet.

Removing the camera is pretty quick, just one thumb screw and disconnect the cameye cable.

Yes, the back of the box is partially open so that you can access the mode switch, record button, and viewfinder.

I forgot to mention in my first post that I also have a PC105, so I am talking about the exact same box you would be ordering, barring any changes since I ordered mine in early 2004 (man, time flies).

Yes, the back of the box is partially open so that you can access the mode switch, record button, and viewfinder.

I forgot to mention in my first post that I also have a PC105, so I am talking about the exact same box you would be ordering, barring any changes since I ordered mine in early 2004 (man, time flies).

is the lens hole a descent size for the wide angle to come out? i have a kenko lens that isn't huge, but it might not fit out the front.

sorry, for all the questions but cookie has yet to answer my emails.

Have the same box and camera, top mountet with a loong tumb screw, Works very good.

The wide angel lens would fit . If its to big, just "dremel" off some carbon. OBs vacumcleaner needed because of "bad " carbon dust.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

As Ove said, it looks like it should fit, and you can always widen the whole with a Dremel tool. I used a similar Kenko .5 lens, but without the wide flange on the end, without modifying my box at all.

On my setup, the box is actually snug against the .5 when closed. If that ends up being the case for you too, I might recommend widening the hole a bit to prevent contact between the lens and the box; use foam or something with some give to fill the gap if you want. My camera has developed a slight wiggle in the lens mount which I think was probably caused by repeatedly being opened and closed in the box.

i got the box today. as i said in the 1st post, i have an arrow dynamics helmet. it doesn't fit. i can't get to the flat portion of the side on the inside of the the helmet to mount the box. suggestions.

You will probably just have to use longer bolts. It might also be possible to re-drill the box to make those holes match the pre-tapped holes on the helmet.

I personally know one person who has the same box sidemounted on a Hawkeye. I'm not sure how he did it, but it can be done. Tommorrow I'll try to find his helmet at the DZ and take some pictures.

You will probably just have to use longer bolts. It might also be possible to re-drill the box to make those holes match the pre-tapped holes on the helmet.

I personally know one person who has the same box sidemounted on a Hawkeye. I'm not sure how he did it, but it can be done. Tommorrow I'll try to find his helmet at the DZ and take some pictures.

thanks brian that would be great. my old bracket is taller than the cookie box. so, i could use only the top 2 or bottom one. i really would like to avoid longer bolts. my lining isn't very thick. that would make for a long day of jumping with bolts in my head.

thanks again,

marty

Marty, sorry man the picture does not help much, is that a curve or indention on the inside of the helmet?

If your Cookie box is smaller, put the helmet on, stand in front of a miror, and put the lens at eye level or near it. This will give you an idea of where to mount the box. There are also helmet parts that do not protrude into the inside of the helmet.

Good Luck
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

Marty, sorry man the picture does not help much, is that a curve or indention on the inside of the helmet?

If your Cookie box is smaller, put the helmet on, stand in front of a miror, and put the lens at eye level or near it. This will give you an idea of where to mount the box. There are also helmet parts that do not protrude into the inside of the helmet.

Good Luck

yeah, the picture doesn't really help me describe the problem with the interior of the helmet. let's try this one. the flat side of the helmet slopes back at the rear of the helmet. on the interior, it is rounded for comfort while wearing. the interior of the helmet is made of the carbonfiber looking material. they placed a patch (permenant) over the access to the bolts. i can't get to them from the inside without tearing the helmet apart.

i'm not familiar with the type of bolts you're talking about. could you describe them a little for me.

this is getting to be a way bigger deal than i anticipated. this box might be getting sold soon.

Marty, here are the screws I spoke of.

Hope this helps!!

ahhh haa. that makes a lot more sense. thanks for the pics.

the same problem still remains. i can't get to the flat portion of the outside of the helmet from the inside.

thanks for the reply's

marty

Sorry, I couldn't find the helmet to take pictures of it this weekend. You are either going to have to use longer bolts that go all of the way through (which probably won't be as much of a comfort issue as you think, my helmet has tons of bolts and cables and shit between the pads and shell), or get busy with the Dremel. Really, this seems like a helmet issue and not a box issue. I don't see how any other box would be any easier to install.