Mostly_Harmless

Sony Vegas 6

I have been using basic editing software for my videos and wanted to get into some more advance editing. So I just happen to get a copy of Sony Vegas 6 and I am very excited about it. The only issue is that there is a lot of stuff to Sony Vegas. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any good books or tutorials to learn the software. I am going to spend a bunch of time just playing around with the software but I would like to get proficient at it. Any tips/tricks?

I use Vegas for all my editing and agree it's a nice piece of software. I've tried other programs like Pinnacle Studio and Adobe Premier, but I think Vegas is the most convenient to work with for simple edits.

I figured out what I know (which I'm sure is not even half of what the program can do) by just clicking around and browsing the help file, which is pretty useful. To start off just drag and drop audio and video clips onto the tracks and click and drag the borders to create cuts, fades, and crossfades. Very intuitive. Sorry I can't answer your question with a more comprehensive tutorial, although I'm sure they exist.

Also, Vegas 7 is out now and has some minor improvements over 6.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Steven,
Vegas 6 (now 7) is a pretty powerful app; there are books, training DVDs, and lots of free tutorials on the app. http://www.vasst.com has about 1600 resources for Vegas, some paid and most free.
If you want to purchase something there, use the code "dropzone" to save $$
I'm also happy to answer any specifics you might have on Vegas here on the forum.

Steven,
Vegas 6 (now 7) is a pretty powerful app; there are books, training DVDs, and lots of free tutorials on the app. http://www.vasst.com has about 1600 resources for Vegas, some paid and most free.
If you want to purchase something there, use the code "dropzone" to save $$
I'm also happy to answer any specifics you might have on Vegas here on the forum.

DSE thanks for offering your help. I think I will be using it a lot since I am trying and trying but not going anywhere fast. Things I am trying but getting no where:
1. Adding text (can't get it to show over the video).
2. Transistions (I don't know how to edit them eg. duration and other settings).
3. Trying to find out how to take the final video and outputting it as an avi file.

I didn't see any training around where I live (I would take that if it was anywhere close), but I think I am going to order the Vegas Training video bundle. I really want to step up my video editing skills. Does the bundle concentrate mostly on Sony Vegas 7 or will it still help me with 6? Thanks again DSE.

CTRL+SHIFT+Q to insert new video track. Make selection in new video track that is equal in length to the length of title you'd like to create. Inside that selection, right-click and choose "Insert Text Media." Then type your text in the dialog that pops up. In the Text Tool dialog, there is a tab marked "Properties." Choose this tab and be sure the BACKGROUND color is pulled to the bottom, assuring the text has a transparent background/alpha channel.
In the "Placement" tab, drag your title to the position you'd like it to occupy on the screen. Be mindful of the red lines indicating "safe title area" so that your titles don't run off-screen.

2. Transistions (I don't know how to edit them eg. duration and other settings).

Transition length is determined by how far you overlap media. In Vegas 6/7, you can see the length of time that the overlap occupies merely by looking at the Xfade/overlap, or you can double click the overlap to create a selection, which also indicates the length of the transition. Drag a transition from the transitions folder to the "X" that indicates the overlap/XFade. This opens a transition dialog box, allowing you to adjust all parameters of that transition. If you've closed the transition, hold your cursor over the transition indicator in the Xfade/transition, and click on when the cursor becomes a hand with a pointed finger. This reopens the transition dialog for further adjustment/tweaking.

3. Trying to find out how to take the final video and outputting it as an avi file.

To output as an .avi file from Vegas:
1. Choose File
2. Choose Render As in the file dropdown
3. In the Render As dialog box there is a Save As Type dropdown. Choose "Video for Windows/avi."
In the template, NTSC-DV should already be shown. If your movie is a standard 4:3 NTSC vid, then this is the correct format to render. If it's widescreen, choose the widescreen format.
4. Select the "SAVE" button in that dialog, your file will begin rendering.

I didn't see any training around where I live (I would take that if it was anywhere close), but I think I am going to order the Vegas Training video bundle. I really want to step up my video editing skills. Does the bundle concentrate mostly on Sony Vegas 7 or will it still help me with 6? Thanks again DSE.

The bundle is version agnostic. It applies to all versions of Vegas. The advanced, separate DVDs deal with Vegas 7 specifics, but the Absolute series as a bundle, encompasses all standard features of Vegas 4, 5, 6, and 7.

Hope this helps?

CTRL+SHIFT+Q to insert new video track. Make selection in new video track that is equal in length to the length of title you'd like to create. Inside that selection, right-click and choose "Insert Text Media." Then type your text in the dialog that pops up. In the Text Tool dialog, there is a tab marked "Properties." Choose this tab and be sure the BACKGROUND color is pulled to the bottom, assuring the text has a transparent background/alpha channel.
In the "Placement" tab, drag your title to the position you'd like it to occupy on the screen. Be mindful of the red lines indicating "safe title area" so that your titles don't run off-screen.

Transition length is determined by how far you overlap media. In Vegas 6/7, you can see the length of time that the overlap occupies merely by looking at the Xfade/overlap, or you can double click the overlap to create a selection, which also indicates the length of the transition. Drag a transition from the transitions folder to the "X" that indicates the overlap/XFade. This opens a transition dialog box, allowing you to adjust all parameters of that transition. If you've closed the transition, hold your cursor over the transition indicator in the Xfade/transition, and click on when the cursor becomes a hand with a pointed finger. This reopens the transition dialog for further adjustment/tweaking.

To output as an .avi file from Vegas:
1. Choose File
2. Choose Render As in the file dropdown
3. In the Render As dialog box there is a Save As Type dropdown. Choose "Video for Windows/avi."
In the template, NTSC-DV should already be shown. If your movie is a standard 4:3 NTSC vid, then this is the correct format to render. If it's widescreen, choose the widescreen format.
4. Select the "SAVE" button in that dialog, your file will begin rendering.

The bundle is version agnostic. It applies to all versions of Vegas. The advanced, separate DVDs deal with Vegas 7 specifics, but the Absolute series as a bundle, encompasses all standard features of Vegas 4, 5, 6, and 7.

Hope this helps?

DSE you are the man. I will be placing my order for the DVD's this weekend. If the DVDs go into this much depth then I should be a pro in no time ;)