Tyrion

PC1000, NTSC/PAL question

I live in Australia, and i'm looking around to buy a Sony PC1000 (this will be my first video camera, and i'm going to jump it in the future), most likely from the USA because that's where most of the 2nd hand ones are.

Being in Australia we use PAL, and i'm wondering if I buy a PC1000 from America, am I going to have issues with the NTSC/PAL thing, or does it not matter when recording to MiniDV? Is there a setting in the camera that I can just flick over to PAL?

I've looked around on the net pretty extensively, but I can't find what the answer to this, so i thought i'd ask some people with experience with that camera. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to video seeing as I'm just getting into it.

Thanks!

Tyrion,
The only cam that does both formats currently (that I'm aware of) is the Sony Z1A, and that's a tad big for most camera ops. Can only be mounted on top, no side. It shoots HDV and DV, plus DVCAM in both PAL and NTSC. Be aware that in HD, there is no PAL or NTSC, just frame rate diffs, resolution is identical in both framerates.

PAL is 25fps, and cycles at 50Hz, and NTSC is 29.97fps, and cycles at 60Hz. Today, most NLE's don't care about the format and framerate; the problem is in the output. You can convert PAL to NTSC in standard def easily, but going from NTSC to PAL means you're taking a fairly significant hit in resolution.
Doesn't really answer your question too well, but hopefully helps you understand the diff in PAL and NTSC.
If you're in the Sydney or Melbourne areas, I'll be there in a couple months doing training on HD and shooting extreme sports. PM me for more info if you'd like.

Thanks guys, that answers my question perfectly.

I had spoken to someone who does video production, but the only Sony he had to reference from was the Z1A, and I was kinda hoping that other models would have that same feature.

Not to be I suppose :(

Now to find a PAL version!