pllnm001

Auto focus problems??

Hi!

I've noticed a bit of a problem when filming my jumps, my camera is a Sony PC109E.

The problem is that when I look back at the video once on the ground / download it to the PC you can definitely tell that the camera has tried "auto focusing" despite me setting, checking and checking again that before leaving the plane it is set in manual focus mode.

Changing the mode is done by accessing the menu system on the touch screen so the problem cant be caused by accidently clipping a switch or adjustment dial.

I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this kind of problem before or knows a way around it??

Thanks

It's not like this is it?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2159921;search_string=Sony%20Error%20Codes;#2159921

That was a problem i had with my 109 recently.

After i got it back from Sony it worked fine. Then i noticed something on a tandem jump the other day that was similar to what you are describing, it hasn't happened again though...

Does it happen on every jump?

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Try taping or using a rubber band to prevent the focus ring from moving. If it moves at all, it will reset some of your preset options. If you want to take it a step further, use a tandem rubber band to prevent moisture and dust from getting between your lens and camera. Good luck!

"Try not! Do, or do not.... there is no try."
--Yoda

Thanks for the responses.

I don't think its the same problem as Peej mentions though as I don't get any error message.

Also there isn't a focussing ring on my camera (it's done through the touch screen menu) so I don't think its related to anything getting nudged in freefall or anything. It does however have a zoom switch on the side of the camera that could have been nudged but it doesn't look from the footage that it is zooming, just auto focussing.

I've had an idea though to try out on my next jump though, instead of pressing 'OK' after setting the camera on manual focus, I'll just leave it on that menu screen, see if that holds it manual mode??

Thanks for the responses.