AirCanada

"On" light indicator for still camera

My apologies if this has been discussed... please feel free to point me in the right direction.

I searched, but not knowing the proper names involved, didn't come up with much.

I've seen people using a lenght of fiber-optic? to indicate whether their camera is on or not. When on, the wire coming from the camera shows a glowing light that is visible while the camera is mounted on the helmet.

Can I do this for me digital still camera? If so, what do I do?

Josh

What you've seen is something called a "cameye" (or cameyeII). It is available for DV cameras (ie video not stills) fitted with a LANC port. Generally that means Sony. It's actually a wire with a couple of coloured LED's on the end. The wire also contols a couple of features on the camera via a button mounted half way along the cable.

I don't know of any similar product for stills cameras although no doubt you could bodge one in many instances.

Some video recording indicators use sensors placed over the camera's tally light. When the light is on, the led in front of your eye lights up. When it's off, no light. (This is not how the Cam-Eye works.)

If your still camera has a light that comes on when it is on, the same type of indicator should work.

For Great Deals on Gear