ast4711

EOS 20D went out

Hi there,

I know a lot of people are using the EOS 20d for skydiving. Yesterday mine went off. Taking some shots on the ground (no skydive that day before).
First I got a Err99 which disappeared by opening/closing the CF-bay but afterwards the kamera did focus and gave the two beeps but it did not release. I was able to power-on but it did not power off when turning the switch off.

Sent it to canon this morning....

Did anyone also have problems like this? I am afraid that could be that we stress this cameras to a high level. Wind, Humidity and Temperature differences are extreme I think.
I remember I did a jump throu clouds the day before (not feeling wet but some minor clouds...)
I took about 12 to 15k pictures in 6 month since it was new.

How can we protect these cams, e.g. is there some kind of camera-condoms for still-cameras or do you think that is not required?

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

Err99 is a power related error... I've had it on my D60 at some very inopportune moments... mine locked up so bad that the only way to get it to reset was to remove the battery...

How are you mounting the camera? If you are using a stroboframe, it may be the problem (if the memory battery is in the same place as on the D60 / 10d)... the stroboframe base on the bottom of the camera was pushing in on the memory battery compartment...

I changed the way I mounted mine, and the problem has gone away... I stopped using my stroboframe, and went back to just a thumb screw and a strap... the problem has not come back... I know someone who had a similar issue with a D30 too...

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

My 10-d did this error 99 too, shutter was locking open and wouldnt close untill i pulled the battery out of it and reinserted it . I called canon and they went thur some trouble shooting with me and said box it up for repair .They put a new shutter in it and give a cleaning and calibration and it works fine now.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

@all: thx for your opinions!

I really tried everything and was very disappointed when that happend because there was a "speciality" aircraft (Antonow-2 in amazing close formation with WingWalkers) we jumped from and now I just have the video :-(

Changed Battery, changed lens, changed flash-card, read the manual and googled a little...

So you don`t have the feeling that out application is to "extreme"?

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de