treetopflyer

lost everything this weekend

Hard to do when you are the only vidiot at the DZ and there is one of the 12-17 tandems that day waiting for you to go back up. :S[:/]

I'm new to the sport, but it sounds like you're letting the need to make more loads sacrifice your saftey. Whether it's your job or not, you don't *NEED* to make the next load. You listed yourself two choices, and mentioned that you chose wrong - implying that you should have gone with the canopy that was smaller than what you were used to. You had a third choice, and that was to repack and jump your own rig on the next load. If your job requires you to make back to backs, maybe you should think about saving for another rig. How much did you make durring that single jump that it was worth raising your risk of injury?
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

Hard to do when you are the only vidiot at the DZ and there is one of the 12-17 tandems that day waiting for you to go back up. :S[:/]

I'm new to the sport, but it sounds like you're letting the need to make more loads sacrifice your saftey. Whether it's your job or not, you don't *NEED* to make the next load. You listed yourself two choices, and mentioned that you chose wrong - implying that you should have gone with the canopy that was smaller than what you were used to. You had a third choice, and that was to repack and jump your own rig on the next load. If your job requires you to make back to backs, maybe you should think about saving for another rig. How much did you make durring that single jump that it was worth raising your risk of injury?

Yes, it is obvious you are new to the sport. In what post did I say I used a smaller canopy? I DO have TWO rigs, BOTH are Sabre 190s. My packers are jumpers with 4,000 3,000 & 5,000 jumps. I trust them to pack the ENTIRE rig. At small DZs we often help each other out when we need to -- such as packing for a vidiot when he is the only one available and there are a lot of tandems to get done before sunset. Having people with 1,000s of jumps and 15 years experience pack your entire rig is hardly a safety issue. Its done everyday -- even at your DZ, Skydive Chicago, at least with student rigs. We all can't jump at big DZs. :P /rant

Yes, it is obvious you are new to the sport. In what post did I say I used a smaller canopy? I DO have TWO rigs, BOTH are Sabre 190s. My packers are jumpers with 4,000 3,000 & 5,000 jumps. I trust them to pack the ENTIRE rig. At small DZs we often help each other out when we need to -- such as packing for a vidiot when he is the only one available and there are a lot of tandems to get done before sunset. Having people with 1,000s of jumps and 15 years experience pack your entire rig is hardly a safety issue. Its done everyday -- even at your DZ, Skydive Chicago, at least with student rigs. We all can't jump at big DZs. :P /rant

Steve,

I appologize, I was reading two quickly and was disturbed by AndyMan's post:

" needed to go back to back and don't have a second rig. I had a choice between a Stileto that was one size smaller than what I'm used to, or a Saber-1 of the same size. I chose wrong. My first Saber-Slam(tm). D'oh. "

It was my intention to reply to him, not you. When it came time to scroll back and look to who I would be replying to, I made a mistake.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

I'm quite sure I'm more than competent in flying a canopy that is one size smaller, I do after all already jump a 1.8 wingloading. One size smaller just wouldn't make that much of a difference at my level.

Instead, my fixation on wingloading caused me to overlook other important factors, like the opening characteristics. My camera helmet weighs over 10 pounds, so having consistently soft openings is critical.

"my job" has nothing to do with it. On that day I was not jumping for "work", the extra loads were for fun. The tandem I was shooting was unpaid, because the passenger was the wife of a friend. Yes, I could have not made the jump, but I also could have stayed home that day, and I also could have never taken up skydiving in the first place. However, since I enjoy skydiving, I'll usually take the choice that lets me have fun, that's why I come out in the first place.

In hindsight, my error was choosing the wrong gear for the job. This is interesting, because even with my 800-ish jumps, and 6 years in the sport I made a mistake. Nobody is ever imune from mistakes. What makes this particular one interesting to me is that while I clearly erred, I did so while thinking it was the safer choice. Often in this sport the correct path isn't always clear. Try to keep that in mind next time you're so quick to judge.

The irony here is that you are absolutely correct. I did not have to make the jump, and if I hadn't I wouldn't have injured myself. I can live with that, though. If given the same choice again, I see nothing wrong with striving for 10 loads in a day. It's why I come out. I will be more careful to jump appropriate gear, and I'm well into building out a second rig for that purpose. My second canopy is scheduled to ship from PD at the end of the month. Incidentally, that new canopy is one size smaller.

10 days later and my neck still hurts, BTW. I am seeing a chiropractor, and they do in fact rock. I've already taken a weekend off jumping and will take next weekend off, too. After 2 weeks off I should be in great shape.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.