kevlarsxs

Sony Error code C:31:23

I just sent off a PC9 to get repaired for the same error code at a place I found on the internet that gives free repair estimates. It has to do with the drum, and something else. Video one said that it could be repaired just by replacing the broken parts, but it is going to be cheaper to replace the whole recording unit. The told me 380$, so I said no thanks sony will do it for 260$

hey kevlar hows it going!

I just sent my PC 105 off to Sony due to that error code, my had numerous things wrong it in addition to that error code. I do know that they had to order two boards to fix the problems I was having, unfortunately they said it takes 2-4 weeks for Precision Camera to get the parts from Sony, so I have been out of a camera for about 5 weeks now :(

Does anybody know what the code C:31:23 means on the Sony PC
I cant find my Manual, I think it means moisture?
Any help.......... Thanks

According to Sony, it means that your cat pissed on your camera. . . . AGAIN!:P:D:D

Sucks dude, i hope you get it fixed.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Hey Chrissy!
This the second time it's done it, had the camera refurbished a year ago it took a least three weeks to get it back.
Funny, Damn thing quit now>:( took a blow dryer to it then let it sit with a fan on it over night and the problem is done:S guess it will be back soon though.
Hope everything is going great for you and sporto up in Tecumseh,
Oh , Brains that code would be something like ..............PP - V:2.0B|:P

"GIVE 'EM THE AXE" - LIZZY

I had this on my PC9 some time ago. When i called Sony i actually managed to get a hold of someone there who knew about this, and from waht i remember (this was a year or so back now) it was due to a tape related issue - can you eject your tape and try this with another tape to see if it affects anything? Try running a tape cleaner through it to see if the heads need cleaning.
It may well be a part issue thats causing it, but mine wasn't - i just took the tape out that was in there, used another one and it was good to go. If the tape of the mini DV cassette becomes slackened or "crinkled", it can cause this error, from what i remember.

Hope that helps

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Couldn't be bothered to read through the rest of the answers but here goes...
I had the same code.The manual says you can fix this problem yourself.Don't believe the manual! The moisture sensor has had a mal and will need to be replaced.
The moisture sensor is there in case the head gets wet.If the tape sticks to the head,then it's had it.Fair one.I figured the head must be much more expensive than the sensor but it isn't,so why bother having it???
I tried everything the manual said but to no avail;removing battery;leaving tape tray open;resetting camera etc

.Good luck
God gave men 2 brains,but only enough blood to fill one at a time....I can live with that.

Couldn't be bothered to read through the rest of the answers but here goes...
I had the same code.The manual says you can fix this problem yourself.Don't believe the manual! The moisture sensor has had a mal and will need to be replaced.
The moisture sensor is there in case the head gets wet.If the tape sticks to the head,then it's had it.Fair one.I figured the head must be much more expensive than the sensor but it isn't,so why bother having it???
I tried everything the manual said but to no avail;removing battery;leaving tape tray open;resetting camera etc

.Good luck

do you mean the tape has had it, or the heads have had it? If its the heads, i know it will probbaly be more cost effective to get a new camera. Freaking happened to me today for the first time in AGES (did my first camera jumps this weekend). Absolutely typical - and Sony UK want £176 (almost $300) as a fixed fee for repairs. Now i don't have a clue as to what to do...:S>:([:/]B|:(

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Mine just died on me this weekend for no apparent reason. I get the same code. I figure I'm going to try the smack-the-hell-out-of-it fix suggested by the link above as I've not exactly got much to lose. If it works I'll let you know.

If that doesn't work I guess I'll ring my insurers up and make them give me a nice new PC330 or PC350 or something... it is a "new for old" policy after all.

The code im getting (or was getting last night) was actually C31 (or 32, i forget):11 - i believe this is moisture related - i guess i should have used a camera condom? Anyhoo, i just found this on a site while searching for some help over lunch...

Self-diagnosis Code Symptom/State Correction
C 04 00 Non-standard battery is used. Use the info LITHIUM battery.
C 21 00 Condensation. Remove the cassette, and insert it again after one hour.
C 22 00 Video head is dirty. Clean with the optional cleaning cassette.
C 31 10 LOAD direction. Loading does not complete within specified time Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 11 UNLOAD direction. Loading does not complete within specified time Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 20 T reel side tape slacking when unloading. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 21 Winding S reel fault when counting the rest of tape. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 22 T reel fault. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 23 S reel fault. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 24 T reel fault. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 30 FG fault when starting capstan. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 40 FG fault when starting drum. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 42 FG fault during normal drum operations. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 20 T reel side tape slacking when unloading. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 21 Winding S reel fault when counting the rest of tape. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 22 T reel fault. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 23 S reel fault. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 24 T reel fault. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 30 FG fault when starting capstan. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 40 FG fault when starting drum Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 42 FG fault during normal drum operations Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
E 61 00 Difficult to adjust focus Inspect the lens block focus reset sensor
E 61 10 Zoom operations fault Inspect the lens block zoom reset sensor
E 62 00 Steadyshot function does not work well. Inspect pitch angular velocity sensor
E 62 01 Steadyshot function does not work well. Inspect yaw angular velocity sensor

Edited to add - if, like me the tape is getting stuck, remove and replace the battery - for some reason this seems to help the eject mechanism

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Did some research - here is some useful info on the error code - might be a contributing factor.

This error code is related to an issue when the camera cannot for whatever reason, read/play a tape - i took a tape it crinkled from my PC9 (which was giving the above error code) and put it into my work PC120 - the PC120, which has been fine, suddenly gave the same error code. This leads me to believe it's not moisture (the PC120 has not been anywhere near the extremes of temperature the PC9 has) or the camera itself, but rather, this error is output when the mechanism gets jammed as the result of a tape crinkle.

Anyway, have a look at this for more info:

http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/trouble/index.html

and here too

http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/trouble/cleaning.html

Hope that helps.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts