Zoter

Keeping an AV cable connected....

I have a PC109 and an FF2 Helmet
Unfortunately the AV jack is ágainst'the side of this left side mount helmet.
I have just started filming 4 way and of course they all want to see the footage as soon as they get down.........its a pain in the arse to keep disconnecting the cam out of the helmet to get access to the AV jack.

I am planning to construct a short AV cable ( say 5cm) that I can leave plugged into the AV port on the camera and then can 'stow' in the ample box that surrounds the camera.....thus making it much easier to connect up to the TV

Does anybody have any comments on thsi ??
ie....does leaving an AV cable attached all the time cause any problems/isues for the camera or LANC port ( Cameye connection)....
Or is there any chance of this negatively affecting the camera / recording??

Thanks ...

Thanks for getting back to me....
Actually there is a generous cutout present already....
Even with this ....its still a fiddle to get the cable in via the inside of the helmet ....and I am convinced that repeated 'fiddling' to get it in to the AV port will result in a premature failure/break of this port....which I am keen to avoid, hence my 'alternative' suggestion.
With a short cable in situ....I can simply 'unstow' it and connect the TV's av cable to this smaller one....

does leaving an AV cable attached all the time cause any problems/isues for the camera or LANC port

Nope, I did the same when I had my TRV-27 in a case. I didn't want to chop the case up just to hook and unhook the video cable. So I drilled a hole and routed the whole cable inside the helmet coiling it behind the pads. Not as clean as what you're getting ready to make but same effect.

I have an AV port built into my helmet (left of the lens on the picture...I'm fixing some details right now, so I can't take a better one since the helmet looks much worse). No problems with filming and playback. This solution was shamelessly copied from a friend. :) He uses a PC109 (I have a PC9), also without problems.

I have the FF2 and a PC101 and tried this set up, but found that the right angle connector kept catching the back light button (I think, as I don't have the cam to hand) giving unreliable results with the functioning of my cameye. When this occurred the top right min counter changed to a C123 display what ever that is. Removed it and have had no problems since.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk