steve1

Beginner...need advice!

I'm venturing into the world of freefall photography, but know very little. I rigged up an old protec helmet with a video camera on top. I've made a few jumps with it and I think I can make it work with a little more practice.

I'm also thinking of using a still camera on the front. I bought a bite switch. It won't fit my other camera. I know you can get a different plug and adapt it, but I needed an excuse to get a different camera anyhow. I'm thinking of getting a Cannon Rebel TI camera body which the bite switch will fit.

I thought I'd use the manual focus and tape the lens in place.

I also needed advice on what type of wide angle lense to put on this. The camera shop I called recommended a 28 MM. wide angle lens which sells for around $169.

I'd sure appreciate any advice on this. I've got a lot to learn....Steve1

I also needed advice on what type of wide angle lense to put on this. The camera shop I called recommended a 28 MM. wide angle lens which sells for around $169.

I'd sure appreciate any advice on this. I've got a lot to learn....Steve1

I don't know the Rebel Ti, but the rebel line from Canon are very nice and light cameras.
The 28mm is right on, that's what I generally use on my film bodies. I have the Canon EF 28mm F2.8

The only thing I would probably change in your setup is your helmet.. A protec is really not the right helmet for this kind of job...

Iwan

Thanks for your help vdschoor. I'll start looking for a better helmet. I fiberglassed a flat spot on top of my old protec and fastened a football chin strap on it. There's a safety bolt into the bottom of the video camera and some nylon straps to also hold the video camera on. It may be too heavy though, and maybe not stable enough. I also rigged a quick way to unsnap both my chin snaps in an emergency. But like you say a better helmet would be a smart purchase. I had some other camera flyers look at it, and they said it is probably safe enough. But not their first choice of a camera helmet....Steve1

I am no where near the camera flyer that Iwan is but i agree with him. I also use a Canon 28mm EF/ 2.8 on my Rebel film camera. It seems to match well with my .43 on my video cam too. As far as the helmet goes, like others told you, it wouldn't be my first choice. However if it is set up right, and safe, use it for a while and keep your eyes open for something different. I will probably have a flat top narrow for sale by the end of summer.;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Buy the bonehead flat top with the cutaway system on it ,ya can't go wrong with this setup . I mean how valuable is your life ??
Lonnie

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................