allrightscud

Video camera as a video player

To facilitate editing and just generally make things easier and quicker. I was thinking about getting a mini DV tape player, I think sony do one but its expensive, but then I thought about getting an older cheaper model digital video camera which could be used purely as a video to download footage.

Does anyone have experience of using a video camera as a video player for mini tapes and is there any flaws or potential problems in the plan?

Too much is never enough!

All right scud?

"Does anyone have experience of using a video camera as a video player for mini tapes and is there any flaws or potential problems in the plan?"

Edit< yes, I've used a PC7 for ages in this role, I also have a minidv deck, thats is just a joyto work with, but its costly.>
stress? Not really, not given the amount of use you are likely to put on it.
One snag that may get you is that some Euro cams do not have Firewire inputs enabled, dunno if thats a biggie for you. Editing doesn't really put a lot of wear on a cam if you are smart about it.

You can probably buy a couple of brand new HC series cams for the price of a new sony deck.

Alternatively, look at getting a cheap DVD recorder, and using one of those, unless the issue is space.
There's plenty DVd recorders these days for less than 150 quid. Discs themselves are substantially cheaper than minidv tapes, hour for hour and you stand less chance of screwing up your original tapes.

I'd go DVD for general playback if I were you.:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the advice.

I am looking at setting up an editing station and a DVD recorder was also part of the plan.

I just fancied having a dedicated player for downloading to my Mac, so that I didn't have to keep going to my helmet and pulling out the camera every time I fancied playing about with old tapes and footage.

Too much is never enough!

All right scud?

i have known the tape cradle to break or malfunction from constant playback, rewinding, ff loading and unloading tapes etc if you can find a cheap dv camera on ebay or something you could use that... my friend founf a older trv for around 40 bucks
confucious say: he who stands on top of toilet gets high on pot.