freefallcrab

Getting stuff delivered to US DZs - Brit question

I have decided to get a Sigma 15mm fisheye lens for my Canon EOS300D (Digital Rebel). The cost of this lens is dollars for pounds - ie 450 dollars in the USA versus 450 pounds in the UK. This would be a saving of a couple of hundred pounds. As I am going to be jumping at a Florida DZ in March (probably Lake Wales) can an American contributor let me know if they think it would be OK to give the shipping address as the DZ and have it delivered there (obviously having let the DZ know in advance). I guess stuff is Fed-Exed to DZs all the time.

Use your wings Johnny....

What you're proposing isn't exactly common... But you certainly would not be the first person to do it. What is a lot more common is people shipping their gear because they don't want to check it while they travel, so dropzones (especially in florida and california) are used to packages showing up for jumpers.

First it is important that you not only ask the DZ first, but make sure they know when it's coming, too. Give them a call when you order it, and a call again the day it's expected to arrive. Speak to the same person each time.

Secondly, I'd try to make sure that it arrives when you're actually at the DZ. If that's not possible, than a day or two before you're scheduled to arrive. The last thing you want is your stuff sitting on a shelf in manifest for two monthes waiting for you to claim it. It will dissapear.

Thirdly, I'd be sure to pay for upgraded shipping, make sure the shipping collects signatures for deliveries, and that you can obtain the name of the shipper easily. This means either Fed-ex or UPS. You want to make sure that when the DZO says "I have no idea what you're talking about", that you can respond by "well, you signed for it..."

It can be a hassle. It's commonly done for expensive stuff... but I'm not sure if it's worth it if you're only saving a hundred bucks...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.