SSkydiver

New to the camera

Hey guys. Finally decided I would like to fly camera. Been talking to other camera guys for about 6-8 months, reading books on it and so forth. I have a Hawkeye left side mount camera helmet. Been looking at all types of cameras. Looking for something slim. Checked out Best Buy but havent been anywhere else. Sony cameras i saw were Sony DCRHC20, C30 and C40. Basically same camera with more options. Just looking at filming around the DZ. Fun jumpers doing 3-4 ways who want to get filmed, solo jumpers that kind of thing. Goal is to one day film tandems. Suggestions on cameras and any safety tips would be appreciated.

You have 100 or so skydives. You can probably admit to yourself you have hardly mastered any one type of flight, much less the multitude it takes to fly camera. You've probably had very little in the way of malfunctions, or wild deplyments to deal with, infact you have just over 100 deplyments according to your profile.

Serious question:

Why do you wish to add a camera to your skydive?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

"Suggestions on cameras and any safety tips would be appreciated."

The HC series look good, however I reckon there may be undue stress involved due to the location of the camera connections, video out, LANC etc. I'm pretty sure that these can be overcome by the use of some imagination and a dremel. PC series seem better suited to left side mounting. YMMV

As for safety stuff, see above and many other posts, so I'll not add to the noise on that front.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

You have 100 or so skydives. You can probably admit to yourself you have hardly mastered any one type of flight, much less the multitude it takes to fly camera. You've probably had very little in the way of malfunctions, or wild deplyments to deal with, infact you have just over 100 deplyments according to your profile.

Serious question:

Why do you wish to add a camera to your skydive?

I see alot of skydiving films and pictures that really show the pure beauty of our sport. Norman Kent i believe has made some of the most amazing shots of our sport. It would be awesome to one day be half as good as that. Some people do excel in this sport a little faster than others. I do not plan on jumping camera till next summer. This gives enough time to talk to the experts, get good advice and really study up on it and also get more jumps under my belt. I do want to get into it gradually. Its not something i am going to rush into but its the discipline i'd like to get into.

Mine (HC20) does. Its on the "inside" for a side mount, so it not as convienant, but it has one.

Your HC20 is mounted on the left? What kind of camera helmet to you have and what the best way to have in mounted to the helmet. I was looking at the HC20. Was only like $425

I havent checked with the manufacturer yet, but i think i want to go with the 2K Composites FF2. No exposed camera, smooth lines, no real snag points. Seen one guy at my DZ that has one and it looks pretty good. Anyone have any idea if the helmet takes the Sony HC20,30,40.

Its not listed as being compatible.
I'd get the real info direct from the horses mouth to be sure.
[email protected]
Nice helmets, really nice helmets.:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I havent checked with the manufacturer yet, but i think i want to go with the 2K Composites FF2. No exposed camera, smooth lines, no real snag points. Seen one guy at my DZ that has one and it looks pretty good. Anyone have any idea if the helmet takes the Sony HC20,30,40.

I received a reply from them (2K) last week on this subject. They say it is not an exact fit and that they have not had their hands on one of the cameras yet. They reported that one of their dealers had done it and some modification of the bracket was required. They expect to fit to it as soon as they get a camera in hand.

Ed