RevJim

PCMCIA Firewire?

I've got a nice laptop now, thankfully, but it didn't come with a firewire port. No problem, I'll just add a card!

Anyone here had any good/bad experiences with any particular brands of cards? Just don't want to go out and buy a lemon off the bat.
:)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Oh boy I myself would like as much info as possible on lap tops. I am working at a new dz and they still use the good old cheap mixing board. The dz that I used to work at really liked what we could do with non liner editing and I would like to keep offering my customers that kind of quality plus the DVD option.
David

Hi Jim,
I use an ADS Pyro PCMCIA card and am pretty much happy with it.
It comes in various flavours depending on bundled software.
Its got a wee dongle thingie that splits to 6 and 4 pin, but I think thats pretty much standard.
As long as they come with suitable drivers, and they are OHCI compliant, just about any card should do the job, or so I'm lead to believe.

Good luck, enjoy editing on the go!
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Thanks!
Actually, I got it for school, but made sure it was strong enough for video too. ;)
I'm also planning on an external firwire HDD to be used exclusively for video editing. Basically once an edit it done and burned/tested/uploaded ect, I'll format the disk and prepare for the next vid. Any suggestions on a good one of those too?
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Again, ADS make cases that you drop any HD or DVD burner etc into.
My Maxtor ext HD just went tits up, something thats happened to a couple of pals, so can't honestly endorse them, I tried replacing the HD but it looks like the bridge interface is fried. It was pretty aged and has been very well travelled, but not really hard abuse.

http://www.adstech.com/products/intro/products.asp
ADS range link fer ya. I have no bad reports on ADS cases, but then again I have no personal exp of them. I'll be looking at one to give me a portable firewire/USB2 DVD burner later on this year, I'm also in the market for a replacement ext HD and will probably go ADS for both these cases.

Be aware that some drives, cases etc are now being sold with 1394b, we need old fashioned 1394 on our connections. I don't know if the two are compatible.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson