quade

Camera Flyer FAQ

The purpose of this FAQ is to offer simple answers with documentation to the most common objective questions. Subjective matters of opinion (What is the best camera for . . . ?) should be addressed directly in the Forum.

This is a work in progress. If you have information to contribute, please let me know.

Q: How much experience should a person have before starting to fly camera?
A: 200 jumps and a USPA C-Licence or FAI equivalent is recommended. See USPA SIM Section 6-8.

Q: What is a Copyright and who "owns" my work?
A: Copyright is a form of protection provided by the laws of the United States (title 17, U.S. Code) to the authors of “original works of authorship,” including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works. This protection is available to both published and unpublished works. See US Copyright Office Circular 1.

Q: What does the phrase "Work Made for Hire" mean and how does that affect my rights under Copyright law?
A: Although the general rule is that the person who creates a work is the author of that work, there is an exception to that principle: the copyright law defines a category of works called “works made for hire.” If a work is “made for hire,” the employer, and not the employee, is considered the author. See US Copyright Office Circular 9.

Q: Is it legal to use (insert name of popular tune) in my tandem videos?
A: Legally, you'd first need to get permission of the Copyright holder. Imagine how you'd feel if someone used one of your photos in an advertising brochure without paying you or getting your permission. See SIGNATURE SOUND, INC. -- 11 Most Frequently Asked Questions About Music Licensing. Also see STEVE GORDON CLEARANCE SERVICE -- Clearing Synchronization Rights For Music Uses on the Internet

Q: What size box fits the (insert camera model here)?
A: It's almost impossible to know the answer for this question for every camera but there is at least one manufacturer that posts information about their camera enclosures for you on-line. See Bonehead Composites.

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver