steellex

Pro-tec camera helmet

Any of you guys out there using Pro-tec as a camera helmet? Please send me pics of your setup together with any tips and advice if any.

I have an old Pro-tec lying around and i intend to modify it into a backup camera helmet. I shoot mainly stills with a Canon D60.

Thanks in advance!
Steellex

Just my .02. If I were jumping something as expensive and nice as a 10D, I'd go with a more secure set-up than a Pro-tec helmet. Something that doesn't move around -at all- on your head in freefall.

I know a Pro-tec works (in a minimal way), but why compromise?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I'd go with a more secure set-up than a Pro-tec helmet. Something that doesn't move around -at all- on your head in freefall.

Does this mean that the ParaMount System 3 does not give a firm fit?

Like I mentioned, i'm just trying to utilise my Pro-tec as a backup camera helmet. But given the relatively low price of the ParaMount Sys 3, I might as well just get one and save the hassle of fixing one up myself.

Read the review HERE for starters (click on the review button on the left).

Again, my opinion (and the opinion of most cameraflyers I know), a camera helmet worth its salt will rachet down on your head and have form fitted liners. This will make the fit be -only- to -your- head and it will not move.

There are many systems out there. Pro-tec is not one of them. Even with the camera fitting assembly.

Do a search on these forums and you'll see alot of information about camera helmets...their likes and dislikes. If you're thinking of something lightweight and versatile, look at Bonehead.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I don't, or rarely use mine anymore, but I was using a Pro-Tec with a camera platform on top(aka Paramount System 3), and in front. And when I did use it, I wasn't using it very much. But I'd have to agree with what has been posted previously above.
For starters, I never seemed to get the snug fit. I personally don't like how loose everything feels while on the ground, much less in freefall.

Probably the single most reason I'd go with a different helmet if I was shopping for one now, especially to mount a D60 on, is mine has cracks around each of the top platform mounting legs, where they attach to the helmet. And these cracks appeared after very limited use. I could only speculate how they got there.

My advice if you are sticking with the Pro-Tec system, keep your cameras light, especially the front mounted still camera.
I have a hunch that may be why my helmet has cracks. Hard opening(s) + heavy still camera mounted on front.

Just my opinion, since I do have one.

Rod