mgerra28

DVD+ or - r

I've been editing DVds in -format. Is this better than + Also, some people have complained that they can't view their tandem video on their player. Should i buy a dvd +R or stick with -R. What is the best way to keep customers happy?
Blue skies

Lee
http://www.skydivethefarm.com
don't sweat the small stuff, in fact don't sweat at all,, you get smelly!!

ORFUN #2

No its dvd-r only i did some research on it apparently the - is 83% compatable and the + is 78 % compatable. The + is oloder technology so will work better on the older dvd players where as if you have a player less than a year old it should work fine. I was going to take it back to best buy but im up in the air at the moment. Knowing my luck i'll change it and everyone will want dvd-r..lol Hey you up in Atlanta this week-end then for the casa boogie:):):)

ORFUN #2

Is there such a thing as a DVD burner that will burn both +R and -R? If so, then I would return it and get one of those. Then we can ask customers how old their DVD player is and then burn the appropriate format.

Yeah, I'm heading to Thomaston this weekend....give me a call if you wanna go.

The Sony DRU-500 series burns both + and - formats. I'm not sure what they are up to but I have an original DRU-500a and it works great, no real complaints. +R and -R are competing formats - both have advantages. I normally use +R for my own use because I know my players support it and -R for other people since there is a better chance of the -R to work with an older DVD player. Most newer player will read most anything.

DVD+R is compatible with more DVD players than DVD-R.

This is exactly opposite of what I found in my research. DVD-R is the most widely compatible with home DVD players. I have had no problems with compatibility so far using DVD-R. Below is a bit of information from dvd-recorders-guide.com that may help you.

DVD Recorder Formats - DVD-R/-RW
This format has two sub-formats, of which the first is DVD-R, a write-once format just like the CD-R burning format you might be more familiar with.

Then there’s DVD-RW, which is a re-writable format. You can record and then re-record over the existing information on the DVD-RW disc.

The DVD-R is reportedly the most widely backwards compatible DVD recorder format. Therefore, you can play your DVD-R recording in most existing DVD players and DVD-ROM computer drives.

DVD-RW discs offer a high-degree of backwards compatibility with existing players as well, but the recordings have to be made in straight DVD-Video mode and the discs have to be finalized.

To find recorders with DVD-RW format, look primarily for Pioneer, Sharp, and Sony recorders.

DVD Recorder Formats – DVD+R/+RW
The DVD+R/+RW format was developed, unlike the other two major DVD recorder formats, outside of the DVD Forum.

The DVD Forum has the most active DVD industry participants as members, and has traditionally been a forum for standardizing DVD formats.

As a late entrant to the standards arena, the format was developed as an answer to the incompatibility problems other standard formats have. For example, you don’t need to finalize the DVD+R/+RW discs (as you would have to for the other formats) in order to be able to use them in standard DVD players.

To find recorders with DVD+R/+RW capability, look for offers from Philips, Apex, Sony, RCA, and Mitsubishi.

Skydive Radio

Thanks diverd very very helpful, I think i'll stick with the -dvdr as alomost everyone has newer dvds these days. Hey i could always charge them an extra 40 dollars and throw in an extra dvd player with their video...lol

ORFUN #2

I also experienced some problems with compatibility in the first place with my DVD-R (Pioneer) but after burning them with single speed I haven't had any issues at all. I don't know if it is the burner, the firmware or the DVD's but it works well for me and my customers. I also only use TDK DVD's anymore. A bit pricy but good quality.

Thanks. some people were telling me to invest in pricier dvds i was using maxwell maybe that may help. Anyone know of a good brand i should look for...Thanks everyone i appreciate you all taking the time to respondB|B|B|B|

ORFUN #2

Actually, you are correct. DVD-R is compatible with more DVD players than +R and that's only logical since DVD-R is the original format. The difference is pretty minimal 93% compatibility for DVD-R and 88% for DVD+R. However, those figures refer to commercial, error free DVD's which in most cases, are created with much nicer equipment than is commonly found on your home PC or editing station. DVD+R is compatible with the CAV writing technique (Constant Angular Velocity) which ensures more accurate and seamless writing. When burning a disc in CAV mode, the disc maintains a constant rotation speed where as in Zone CLV (Constant Linear Velocity) writing (only method used on DVD-R), the writing of the disc is split into different zones (zones are split from the center and outward on the disc) and each is written at different speeds. When writing is completed for each zone, the writing is suspended momentarily until the disc can reach the new higher rotational speed and then restarted. The recording is then linked to the previous zone using buffer underrun protection. The errors most often occur at the link points between the zones and results in a poorly written disc that many players will not be able to read. The issue isn't necessarily one of compatibility but of quality. Burning at lower speeds can certainly help, but burning your disc on a DVD+R disc with a DVD Burner equipped with CAV writing technology will almost certainly solve the problems that you have described.

Peace
Z

I also experienced some problems with compatibility in the first place with my DVD-R (Pioneer) but after burning them with single speed I haven't had any issues at all. I don't know if it is the burner, the firmware or the DVD's but it works well for me and my customers. I also only use TDK DVD's anymore. A bit pricy but good quality

I'll bet Firmware. I had the same problem with my A04, and with a firmware upgrade, it was resolved.

j