scotts

Packing data card

Good questions.
The FAA doesn't say which component the data card should go with. Since the data card needs to show only the most recent repack, you can even discard the old data card and start over. My preference is for the data card to go with the reserve, unless there has been some container maintenance or alteration entered on the card.
Maintaining the velcro is normally a rigger responsibility, but I'd encourage you to try replacing the velcro yourself. If you do, be sure to get a rigger to look at your work.
Mark

I put my rig together from new parts and ended up with two packing data cards, one that came with the reserve information stamped on it and one that came with the container information stamped on it. I've been logging the repacks on the card that came with the reserve. Maintenance on the container could go on the card that came with the container. Nothing says you can't have one for each.

I put my rig together from new parts and ended up with two packing data cards, one that came with the reserve information stamped on it and one that came with the container information stamped on it. I've been logging the repacks on the card that came with the reserve. Maintenance on the container could go on the card that came with the container. Nothing says you can't have one for each.

You know the way people swap parts around we should have one for each. In my case I have a reflex that had the SB done to it, So the card has to stay with the container, but then a lot of the reserve history is lost. [:/]
Fly it like you stole it!

Following that same logic, some reserves should have three cards: harness, canopy and AAD.
FXC already supplies cards with its FXC 12000 automatic activation devices. And I always note on the card when I chamber test FXCs and record serial numbers of student rigs they are installed in.
We can probably skip the third card with Cypri since the maintenance data is supposed to be written on the outside of the box.

I sometimes switch my Cypres units around, and it doesn't take many switches to fill up a packing data card if you try to keep container, reserve, and AAD information on one card. I think the idea of a separate card for the AAD isn't such a bad idea. That would make it easier to spot the required maintenance without having to dig it out of the packing data card or open up the reserve tray. If memory serves (and it will have to, because I'm too lazy to get up and look right now), the Wings container comes with a card that has information on the main as well. Hell, we could have rig log books like we have airframe and engine and prop logs for airplanes.:S Well, maybe not...........

In my case I have a reflex that had the SB done to it, So the card has to stay with the container, but then a lot of the reserve history is lost.

There's nothing anywhere that says that you can't simply transfer the information about SBs (or anything else) onto a new card. The only thing you're missing is the signature, but having the important info on the card is more important than having the signature there with it.

As far as the legal aspect of not having the signature. Simply photocopy the original card and stick it in your log book. That way, you've got the sig if you ever really needed it, you haven't broken any laws (by trying to sign the card for a SB yourself or anything like that), and you've transferred all the needed info to the appropriate card. ;)

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."