allrightscud

12" Powerbook

Hi

I've been offered a fantastic deal on a 12" iMac powerbook. £800.00 fully loaded.

Do you think that the 12" screen would be too small to edit video on. I've had a look at one and I know a few folk who use them day in, day out as a work tool. I'm just not convinced that its size won't start to bother me after a bit.

S'later

Tom

Too much is never enough!

All right scud?

My mates got a 12" iBook and it does feel a LITTLE cramped when your editing but I guess it depends on how often and for how long you'd be using it for. I dunno how much £800.00 is in Australian but hey if its a really good deal then I'd deal with the smallness B| :)

Do you think that the 12" screen would be too small to edit video on

Though you will have a small editing views on your computers monitor you do feed the video through your camera to a TV. You can view live video and your edits on the television. I use the 15” Powerbook and love it, my only concern with the 12” is the limited hard drive space and RAM. But at such a great price you could easily afford to buy an external hard drive and if you can’t live with the slower processing speed some more RAM. Sounds like a great deal to me.

I believe the resolution is 1024x768 on the 12"...for an older guy like me that might be hard on the eyes but you would have the same resolution that I do on my 15" flat panel iMac. The screens are very nice, bright and sharp! That's a pretty good deal!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I'm typing at you from my 12" PB that I bought as a Christmas gift to myself this year.

Let me just say that I LOVE this new tool in my digital arsenal and although the 15" is very nice it isn't needed for my business or DZ video/photography work.

The screen -is- 1024x768, and is very sharp. The 12" size doesn't bother me at all. In fact, the convenience of size and weight, along with the quality, is what made me choose this model.

As for the smaller HD size...I special ordered my PB with an 80 GB HD and 768 MB of RAM. Oh,, and it's a 1 GHz processor.B| (memory can be upgraded to 1.25 GB of RAM!)

Yeah, can you see I love my baby?!

Only drawback is that is has a miniDVI plug that needs and adapter to play through into a RCA cabled TV. You can pick that adapter up from Apple's web site, as no retail store has one in stock (yet). This model PB is just too new.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

***my only concern with the 12” is the limited hard drive space and RAM. ***

The price I've been quoted is for a 60 GB hard drive and 512 Ram. I also have a 40GB iPod on order which I believe I can use for normal extra storage if needed.
The standard price in the UK for this is around £1600 so it's a 50% saving. The saving on getting a 15" isn't as much and I'm not sure if I could stretch the extra £500 just for a bigger screen. I reckoned I could buy a larger monitor for the difference if I felt I needed it later

Thanks

Tom

Too much is never enough!

All right scud?

It's all about the external monitor with the 12" powerbook. It extends the desktop, rather than duplicating it, and you can move all your menus to the monitor, and make the powerbook screen an extension of the monitor. Add a cheap usb keyboard, and an optical mouse, and throw that powerbook in a drawer or behind the monitor and you've got a ton of desk space and a super powerful computer.
The 12" powerbook is super, but please purchase the extended warranty (you have a year from initial purchase to activate an extended warranty on these), and consider insurance.