mbs66

in tha market for a new camera

Has anyone purchased a camera from the ebay stores? The prices are
much less than retail and include heaps of extras... sounds too good to be true!! If anyone has
purchased one... (i am looking into the PC105), how was the service, timeliness,
quality/usefulness of the extras?. also... what about warrantees? are they legit?

If it seems too good to be true, it's probably a scam. Check out this thread, and i'm sure there are more around.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005SFS

You're better off going with a reputable store like B&H where you know you'll get exactly what you paid for and they offer quality customer service. Their prices are pretty good too!

Gotta go... plaything needs to spank me
Feel the hate...
Photos here

I called Clark Howard on this one. He is a radio talk show host that deals with money issues. The thing to watch out for here is what is called Gray Market Products. The items are O.K. but they are meant to be sold in another country other than where you are living. So if you are from the US then it is not meant to be sold here. The main problem with this is that if there is a problem with the camera, it has to be sent to the country it is supposed to be sold in to be repaired under warranty. Of course then you have to hope it comes back. So now you have to decide whether it is worth the gamble. There are other issues about buying on ebay, like is it what they are advertising? I strayed away from ebay on this one. Only you can decide.

I bought a pc105 on ebay with 3 dv tapes, memory chip reader, cheesy bag, and cleaning kit for 735.00 with shipping. It arrived about 1 week later in factory sealed box just as described--I thought it was a good deal. on ebay search sony pc 105.
The company was top choice digital the will see as little as 610.00 and as much as 740.00
Hope this helps.
Voodew

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

I have spent over $40,000 on camera gear on E-bay and have never been burned . Research the person you are buying from . If it is a pre-approved bidders only auction it IS A SCAM and don't bid . If you a carefull you wont lose your money . See a $8000.00 camera body for $2000.00 and you really want it , insist on escrow , they say no you walk away .

I called Clark Howard on this one. He is a radio talk show host that deals with money issues. The thing to watch out for here is what is called Gray Market Products. The items are O.K. but they are meant to be sold in another country other than where you are living. So if you are from the US then it is not meant to be sold here. The main problem with this is that if there is a problem with the camera, it has to be sent to the country it is supposed to be sold in to be repaired under warranty. Of course then you have to hope it comes back. So now you have to decide whether it is worth the gamble. There are other issues about buying on ebay, like is it what they are advertising? I strayed away from ebay on this one. Only you can decide.

I buy gray market all the time . I buy most gray market out of Hong Kong through a dealer . Have I had cameras need service ? Yes . Have I had a problem getting it fixed ? No , I ship back to my dealer in Hong Kong and he gets it serviced for me . The gray market problem is a non-issue if you buy from the right people .