olstad

Talon Owners manual

Sorry, but the original Talon (pre 1994) packing manual is not available on-line.
I have a fuzzy photocopied Talon manual if that helps.
Or you could use a Vector I manual with a couple of extra steps.
The greatest difference between original Talons and Vectors is the pilotchute spring. When packing a Talon reserve pilotchute, it is important to position the fabric and mesh between the coils of the spring. Failing to stuff the fabric and mesh in there may result in a coil lock.
The only other difference in the Talon manual is the bridle position: a huge V with the apex near the Cypres box, but frankly, it makes little difference if you pack a Talon bridle the same as a Vector.

Oh and there have been a series of Service Bulletins on original Talons, all of which are available on Rigging Innovations' website.
The most important Service Bulletin involves reserve pilotchute springs, make sure your spring is painted black.

When packing a Talon reserve pilotchute, it is important to position the fabric and mesh between the coils of the spring. Failing to stuff the fabric and mesh in there may result in a coil lock.

I've been curious about this for a while. Why might a Talon p/c coil lock, but not a Vector, Mirage, Javelin, etc.?
Mark

When packing a Talon reserve pilotchute, it is important to position the fabric and mesh between the coils of the spring. Failing to stuff the fabric and mesh in there may result in a coil lock.

I've been curious about this for a while. Why might a Talon p/c coil lock, but not a Vector, Mirage, Javelin, etc.?

Mark

Talons have cylindrical springs that can experience coil locks, if packed sloppily enough.
Vectors and Javelins have conical springs that don't lock.