Yoshi

making and designing a canopy

i THINK i AM GOING TO COME OUT TONIGHT AND STAY THE WHOLE WEEKEND... IF NOT I WILL BE THERE TOMARROW MORNING AND STAY SAT NIGHT... SEE YOU THERE!

ya, i think i will be going out to the airport as soon as school gets out. as long as my stupid english teacher doesn't give me all kinds of homework.

oh hell, i'll be out anyway :ph34r::ph34r::P

later

I have 2 jumps an a home made parachute. It was built on a little Dressmaker sewing machine on the kitchen floor. The person who made it had a small amount of Wind Surf sail making experience. When it was brought out to the DZ to show every one, the owner of it had 50 jumps.

The designer/builder wanted to know more about parachutes. He figure out construction technigues, designed it on cad, then ordered every thing. Pink ZP fromr PD. (their favorite testing color...or used to be :) #7 grommets from a sail shop. Spectra from who knows where. Film container caps for the slider stops.

It ened up as about a 143 elliptical with a 3.5 ish to 1 aspect ratio. the nose was wide open like a Falcon.

I borrowed a triple rig and took it out of the Kingair as slow as it would go. It was brisk but it opened and stayed together. The angle of attack was very shallow so pulling on the right front riser would make it turn left. Turning it with toggle input woudl stall one side. it flew mostly down not forward. cutaway around 3000.

He eventually just pointed the nose down another 6 inches. This time I took it out of the cessna. Great opening, and it flew! it needs another brake attachement point to pull more of the tail down. Some day I'll add another line to it and land it. I was on the fence aobut landing it but since the flare was limited from the need of the extra brake line attachemnt, I cutaway again. It's been used for water training 2 times now and currently sits in my closet.

Good times
-
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

well I am going to be there around 7pm tonight. if the dz isnt open go to jasons house and Ill meet you there.. I think he works till 10 tonight... give me a ring on my cell if you need a ride..
-yoshi

sounds cool.. I am getitng really excited about making one, but my downfall is I dont want to put a ton of time and money into it if it wont fly.. so I have alot of homework to do before starting anything:):)
thanks for the input
-yoshi

You're welcome. I just thought I would share a bit if fun from a couple years past.

Do you have access to good machines with pullers attached? Motorized rubber rollers attached to the back of the sewing machine that keeps tension as you feed the material.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

well I am not sure about that.. my machine is just a crappy make a dress in a weekend deal, but there are quite a few riggers with nice lofts that I could prob get access to..

-yoshi