Cacophony

Native AVID video file?

Anyone know what the native AVID video file is? Premiere uses avi and Final Cut Pro uses quicktime, but what does AVID use? I'm curious because I am going to be getting AVID in the near future but I have a bunch of video to capture now. I wouldn't see a problem with capturing them as an avi unless AVID wouldn't support them. I am assuming that AVID does though. Am I correct? Thats all for now. Thanks.

Avid should be able to import (actually convert) both .avi files as well as -most- of the QuickTime codecs.

Actually, it depends on what platform you're running on. If it's an Apple based Avid, QuickTime is actually doing the conversions.

Just a quick note, it's worth the money to buy not only QuickTime Pro, but the mpeg2 codec as well. I've had graphics people give me all sorts of different crap including ancient mpeg2 files that just didn't work any other way. The QuickTime translation worked like magic.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Thanks guys. I'm actually using a PC not a MAC. Thats all I needed to know. Rock on!

You use a PC, not to worry I'll still talk to you! :P

I use a G4 with FCP 3 so I am a bit biased....I used to have a PC laptop to edit in the helicopter but it just couldn't cope

I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter

;)
First off - dont worry, Avid can import ALL of your AVI files, and ALL of your Quicktime files (whichever you prefer to use for the time being) - as for later on - Avid uses OMF file system, which means that you wont be able to import those directly into anything else unless you export to a different format via Avid itself (not that you would want to get out of Avid ... so no worries here either)

going into Avid is a trip, going back - can never happen.

Have fun.
Be Simple, Be Creative, Bee!
Sharon.