gus

DV codec in Premiere

When I'm doing a 'make movie' In Studio 7 one of the codecs I can choose from is for DV so I can send it back out to my PC9. However, the same codec option doesn't pop up in Premiere 5.1, which means that if I want to use Premiere I have to export my movie as raw avi (huuuuuuuge!) then bring it in to Studio 7 so I can re-encode it as DV.

I can't seem to find any free DV encoding codecs out there, are there any?

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Assuming your camera is DV-in enabled when you play the timeline in premiere it should render it up the firewire as well as to the monitor window without out any mucking about with codecs. I have used Premiere 5.1, 6 and 6.5 all with no problem - I can't actually remember 5.1 now but in 6 and 6.5 when I start a new project I start it as a DV project. There may be some options in 5.1 you need to fiddle with to sort this; or maybe just try playing the timeline and see if the picture is received by the camera.
Rich M

The option you want to use is "Print to tape". There is also an option called "Print to video" but I think that is for sending the finished movie to a vcr. "Print to tape" should send it back to your camera in digital form.

Skydive Radio

Thanks for all the replies guys. FYI the 'print to tape' option doesn't seem to output anything to the camera (monitor only), do I need to somehow tell Premiere to use my firewire card?

In the end I found a cd that came with the PC9 and had MGI VideoWave III on it. When I installed that it also installed the Adaptec DV Soft codec which Studio 7/Premiere/VirtualDub can all see and use.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

When it is setup and ready to go, does your camera display DV IN on the LCD ? If so, maybe you haven't turned the firewire controller (wrong word ... some help ?) on in the settings. I believe that needs to be on for the program to communicate with the camera.

Can you see what is on the computer on the LCD ? If so, then you know the signal is going through.

Or, you can just upgrade to at least 6.0. ;)

http://www.brandonandlaura.com