freefallin14

Batrak mountning

Does it matter what side your TRV is on vs the still camera on the top of a batrak? I am guessing it is pure personal choice. I have my dbox for the trv mounted in the middle for when I wanna just shoot video, and will also have the holes drilled for switching it to one side so the still camera can sit next to it when I want to shoot both. But before I did anything, I wanted to hear if there were any (I am guessing there aren't) pros and cons to what side each sits on.

Bret

I have had my TRV mounted on different sides depending on which still camera I wanted to use. The main factor here being that I'm trying to protect the still camera and plugs as much as possible.

Right now, I'm shooting with a TRV camera and a Canon D60. The D60's trigger plug is on the left side of the camera, so I snug that up against the right side of the TRV. This also gives me access to the D60 flash card door without removing the D60 from the helmet.

When I was shooting a Canon Rebel, I had it set up exactly the opposite, but for the same reason, trigger plug protection.

I've also had two TRV cameras mounted for competition.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Think about which hand you are going to use to switch things on and off with. Also which side of the box the fastex buckle is on ( you can chage this). Will you need to access the camera's outputs without taking it out of the box?

If I jumped a Bat Rak and a TRV I would mount it on the left myself, for ergonomic reasons, and it would let me put a vertical sharks fin in the middle for my stills camera. The stills (Cannon) is nicer to use in a vertical format when it is set up with the top of the camera facing right, because the shutter release port is then closer to the helmet, and the film loading door release is at the top. Make sure you mock up your set up before you start drilling. The shot shouldn't change much.

Edit: My personal set up includes Flat Top Pro, TRV, Cannon Elan 7, Quantum Battery Pack, Couple of flashes. Very modular set up, and I can change things easily (i.e. between loads)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.