kevin922

NTSC/PAL Conversion

I jumpped with a guy from england today who videoed my jump, his camera was recording in PAL. I firewired the video to my NTSC camera, and it plays just fine on the screen - however he mentioned he tried this earlier and the image is all messed up on a TV. This makes sense, however can I dump the PAL video to primere and output it back to NTSC? If so, how?

Kevin

Have you tried exporting it to Premiere? I believe you can set the input source for each project in Premiere so I'd guess that you try it once for NTSC and then in another project for PAL if that doesn;t work. Once you have it on a computer in an editable form you should be able to convert however you wish using Premiere. A relatively inexpensive program like Quicktime PRO will convert NTSC to PAL and vice versa once it has a dv file in either format.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

ok well I can't get it off the friggin camera. Plugged it into premiere created both a new ntsc & new pal project tried to capture the video and the image just freezes on the computer (looks fine on the camera) when you hit record on premiere it says the DV device was removed. Any ideas?

bleh!

I managed to capture NTSC using Pinnacles DV Tools - I was using a DV500+ capture card at the time. I found the only way was to use the following order exactly:

Set camera settings to to NTSC 4.43 Playback (I use a PC100E)
Start the camera playing the NTSC footage (it must start and be playing NTSC footage)
Start DVTools, set the capture settings to NTSC capture
Capture the playing footage

Any variation of order and the capture would fail, and require a system reboot before it would work again. I hope this helps.
Rich M