Austin

TRV 8??

If its the camera I'm thinking about it is mini DV.I have a TRV 10 and this is the same cam but without a memory stick.
To sum up;
mini dv
no memory stick
30mm thread
lots of digital effects (old movie etc)

If it breaks sony may no longer support it (its quite old - my trv 10 was end of line over a year ago)

If its a good price I would have it - leave everybody else to buy the latest versions and the price of the older versions comes right down!

I paid £550 ($800) for the TRV 10 over a year ago.

Have fun!
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

As described above, it's just like the TRV10, but no memory stick. I bought mine on the close-out rack in the spring of 2000 for about $900. I have since used it for three full seasons, which for me was about 600 tandem videos. I've used the camera to playback and dub every one of those videos, and I've never had any problems. It's been mounted in a D-box, and been exposed to rain, and lately here in Michigan VERY COLD weather.

Another nice advantage is that it takes the Sony M-series batteries which are very common and easy to find. It's not like with the PC-7 and the PC-10 and the PC-1 etc... where it seemed like Sony introduced a new battery with every new camera model. I should note that I'm still using the original battery (3-hour duration), and it acts just fine.

I would personally buy another one if I found one in a box somewhere or a good used one for a reasonble price. I don't care about bluetooth technology or a memory stick or any of that stuff. The TRV8 can firewire into my digital edit suite, and that's all that really matters to me. I don't like paying for a bunch of features that I'll hardly ever use.

The TRV-8 IS mini dv....It is designed in the palmcorder format,,, rather than the way the Sony PC series is designed... The TRV 8 has a flip out viewfinder,,,very good playback effects,,, and shoots a pretty nice image...I found One about 3 yrs. ago and was able to buy it for 900 $$$$...I got It cause my friend and co-videographer Carol had said she was looking for a new camera...I passed it on to her,, for what I had paid,,, and she has used it for maybe 3 seasons now.... She Is EXCELLENT,,, and
Carols vids are always so well received...:$
Check out
the Dropzone.com classifieds,, I seem to remember
a TRV- 8 offered for sale,,(pre-owned) by someone in Mass. USA.. for like 400 dollars....Factoring in Sony's reliability,,,, it may have many years of good use left in it (NO I am not gonna get a commission if it sells ;) ).
P.S. I use a TRV-20 side by side with a VX-1000 (sony) the 20 has a .42 lens the VX ,,,,I shoot with just a little bit of zoom,,, dialed in...
"During ckimbout,,,,,,,,
...watch the spot,, watch the student,,,,watch your handles !!!" :)

Finally a Frontier Skydiver posting... Carol's video works out great. I've been happy with the jumps she has shot for me. It's even made some time on the local news this summer. (To tell you the truth that camera and its operator work better than some of the guys I shoot with for a living.) If you see her tell her and Eddie (one of my AFF instructors) I said hi and that I'll see them in the spring. Matt Ersing